Urgent help needed Sad corals

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by cuenm, 29 Feb 2012.

1. cuenm

cuenm

Hi all, these first 2 photos are how my tank is looking now and the next 2 are from about a month ago.
    the leather i have had for over a year and it has grown atleast 3x its original size and i have never seen it sulk for so long before.
    clove polyps havent opened for about 2 weeks and GSP have been closed for about 3 weeks. i have had them sulk or stay closed many times but that usually lasts for about 4-6 days and never all of them at the same time.
    tanks been running for about 5 months now, moved them from previous tank which was stable for just under a year.
    all fish are fine, eating no problem and no signs of stress. small bubble tip nennie is also doing fine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

had great growth before now and i maintain water changes and test regularly.
    PH, no2, no3, nh4, etc all are good. water temp 25. salinity, 1.026.
    lighting 4xt5 and illumilux led.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

since its been looking bad i have done two water changes of approx 25%..
    total tank volume about 200l..
    any ideas??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. crispin

crispin

whats your magnesium sitting at?

how sure are you of your test kits, might be worth rechecking the results as it def looks like water parameters are out. Is your skimmer working well?

what about old carbon?

when last did you change light bulbs, that maybe a reason for the sulk.....but my fisrt guess would be NO3 levelsa being too high.

4. cuenm

cuenm Thread Starter

@crispin, thanks for the reply
    i havent tested magnesium (dont have the test for it), is it really neccessary as i do water changes with NSW from a clean site.
    i tested No3 with another kit and still zero, i dont have carbon in the system and the skimmer has been working as usual.
    the bulbs are in need of a change by now but the LED is new and puts out far more lite than the t5's in any case.
    i removed the GSP today and the purple skin was like chalk so thats been dumped. im hoping the other stuff wont go the same way.
    i would of assumed that the decay of the GSP would give me high NH3 and NO's but the tests are showing nothing...
    more water changes?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. archiecrain

archiecrain

What test kits and how old are they? Maybe get your water tested at your LFS to see if your test kits are accurate?

6. mytank

mytank

What LEDs are you sure you haven't light shocked them??

7. cuenm

cuenm Thread Starter

@archiecrain the test kits are sera and are new, i have seen a few people commenting on them not being accurate, but on the tests that i have redone with other kits i have had the exact same result. i plan on tacking a sample to the LFS as soon as i can.

the lighting is an illumilux by vertex, had it since november and the problems have only started in feb, so its not due to light shocking.
    my thinking is that some sort of contaminent may of entered the system as the corals reacted negatively about the same time, maybe the domestic using bug spray in the room or something like that... im gonna get some carbon asap, barring any variences with test..
    thanks all for the input. please let me know if any other ideas or how i should go about this..

8. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Whats your tank temperature sitting at bru?

9. cuenm

cuenm Thread Starter

it has been a bit higher than usual, its been around 27-28'C. this isnt too much of an upset is it?

10. cuenm

cuenm Thread Starter

hi, took the leather out of tank to check for any pests or necrotic zones, found nothing although its looking worse.
    took clove polyps out too and some of the polyps are falling off like wet cardboard.
    still no polyp extension at all, been running carbon for the past 2 days now. checked parameters again today and no problems. temperatures are a little elevated, about 28'C.
    i looked at the tank last nite with a torch and saw a number of small (1-2mm) round, white snails that i havent noticed before. could this be the problem?

11. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hmmm seems like you possibly short of iodine ?

12. jacoc

jacoc

I'm with Williet on the iodine and just maybe your temp is a bit to high ...softies don’t do well in to high temp water...I would bring down 24-25 and give it a few days as you removed it from the water it need to settle a bit ..And make sure there is current over the top of it...very strong light change could shock them but lights getting older will not affect corals as they adapted to the light as the light fades. No3 will not affect it unless really very-very high but then the little star polyps will show stress first. Do the carbon thing and see what happens in a few days.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  13. Jamie@Vertex

Jamie@Vertex

If you suspect a contaminant, then definitely use some active carbon, as this will bind organic molecules quickly.

Unless you have recently added something where a predator could have been hidden, I wouldn't suspect the snails

14. mandarinman

mandarinman

Would just continue doing waterchanges on a regular basis. what water are u you using? Ps have you dosed vodka or anything else for nutrient reduction?

15. cuenm

cuenm Thread Starter

thanks everyone, since i removed the leather he is looking stuffed. will try bring water temps down a bit.
    i use NSW, only take from clean sources though. havent done any vodka dosing or anything else to reduce nutrients.
    i use Red sea calcium +3 once a week, which includes iodine. should i get a single iodine supplement to dose?
    thanks again.

16. mandarinman

mandarinman

Stop dosing the calcium. the dosing may be burning corals. just do waterchanges you dont seem to have have enough sps etc to dose calcium. if u are not dosing kh as well you will be creating ph problems . ph is prob very acidic. test kh and bring up to 8.3 over a few days.

Recent Posts