SA live rock....

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by luwaynecrous, 21 Feb 2010.

1. luwaynecrous

luwaynecrous

Hi there , Want to know what the reefers think of local live rock, eg. Off the coast of Port Elizabeth? Good or Bad?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Luwaynecrous - this is a very hot debate. Some people say it is "illegal" to have South African live rock. And some other people say that the live rock is not really worthwhile using, as it is not porious enough, neither does the real work of "decent" live rock.

I have no idea.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Not sure on PE, but normally our rock is not porous enough, too solid. Maybe ask NeilH, MASA own rock expert to help you out on this question.

I receive a rock from somewhere in the Cape. It does look very promising, but you can feel that it is a lot more heavier than Kenyan or other imported rock. But it will work for base rock, and it was cheap (free). So it will be used under my proper liverock when I got my new tank sorted one day.

5. luwaynecrous

luwaynecrous Thread Starter

Well I got a permit to take it out , lots of coraline algea on it and looks better than the ones I saw at our local shop, but like you say its debateble:)

6. maj

maj

use the localrock as base,then get some good live rock,more porous the better!

7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

The problem with the rock along our colder shorline is that it stresses under temp.. it's from the seas and it should work fine for the basic principles of filtration.. the life currently growing on it is going to possibly die back a little while it is settling in the system..

the problem is the pollution it emits during this prcess possibly leading to hair algae problems..

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

The LR found on our coastline happens to be some of the best LR I have seen. It all depends on where it is collected. Some are porous, others not. Some say it is legal to take, others say no. To be on the safe side, leave it alone.

Recent Posts