SA faces huge Power cost hike

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
CAPE TOWN — Eskom wants to raise its tariffs by over 50%, the National Electricity Regulator of SA (Nersa) announced yesterday.

If granted, the increase will replace the 14,2% hike Eskom was allowed by Nersa in December last year.

That increase is scheduled to come into effect from April 1.

“Eskom has applied for a revision of the price for 2008/9 from 14,2% to 53% increase [sic] or a 60% nominal increase,” Nersa said.

It said Eskom wants the revision because of what the utility said are its higher primary energy costs, and “accelerated demand side management” costs.

“In the light of the current electricity supply shortage and load shedding in the country, the energy regulator will give urgent attention to Eskom’s application and make its decision after following due process.”

Nto Rikhotso of Eskom’s media desk confirmed earlier that the new application was to be lodged yesterday afternoon, but that she could not reveal the increase sought.

She said that Nersa will open up a public participation process once the request is lodged.
“It’s their prerogative to communicate what we have submitted to them,” she said.

In allowing a 14,2% hike last year, Nersa rejected Eskom’s bid for 18,7%.

Eskom said at the time it needed the increase to maintain effective operations following a steep increase in coal costs and the need to finance capital expenditure.

Its managers are scheduled to receive performance bonuses of shares valued at R10 million at the end of this month.

The hike, whether 14,2% or 53%, comes in the wake of a two cents per kilowatt hour electricity levy announced last month by Finance Minister Trevor Manuel, and amid a new round of nationwide power cuts.

Reacting earlier to media reports that the hike sought was 24%, trade union Solidarity said South Africans cannot afford the increase.

It urged Nersa to reject the request.

More cheerful news from Eskom yesterday afternoon is that South Africans will probably not be left in the dark over the Easter weekend.

It said in a statement that two of the nine generating units that had been out of action on “unscheduled maintenance” came back earlier in the day, and two more were expected to come on line last night.

“However, load shedding will continue until after evening peak [9 pm] as the wet weather continues,” it said.

Eskom said it is currently load shedding up to 2 500 megawatts, and the risk of cuts will remain until tomorrow.

“We don’t expect any load shedding over the long weekend as demand patterns are historically lower during holidays,” said Erica Johnson, Eskom’s chief officer for networks.

Earlier yesterday, before any units were restored, Eskom spokesman Andrew Etzinger said the power situation was “extremely serious”.

He warned that in the unlikely, but possible, event of more generating-unit failures, power to mining companies would have to be cut.

Rikhotso told Sapa that mines are operating on rationed power, and the long-term plan is that this will be “ramped up” in stages.

An announcement on Monday that Gold Fields had been allocated additional power for use at its Kloof and Driefontein gold mines formed part of this process.

“It’s going to be done for all of them,” she said.

In January, power shortages forced mines to shut down for five days.

Solidarity is to also ask President Thabo Mbeki to appoint a task team to support him in seeking a solution to the crisis.

This country sucks !!!:(

If it makes you feel any better, we just got hit in the UK, over the last 2-3 years our gas and leccy bills have at least doubled too, petrol just went up, as did council tax, road tax, ciggies, booze etc

If it makes you feel any better, we just got hit in the UK, over the last 2-3 years our gas and leccy bills have at least doubled too, petrol just went up, as did council tax, road tax, ciggies, booze etc

Yip Weeman what people don't understand is that everyone in the world is feeling it. I have heard lots of people saying sa sux but none of them consider the rest of the world. We ALL have a fuel crisis and because of that most goods will increase.

Our power issue is mainly due to the fact that South Africans have enjoyed cheap power for so many years...I think we rate as one of the cheapest. Now we sit with an issue of demand vs supply. Yes our government have slipped up on the issue but we not the first to have a power crisis. YES our crime is an issue but again we not the first country to have this problem. Anyways off my soap box...

i get hit with the 4 hour cut - yesterday i put a blanket on my tank - lost 1 degree in 4 hours and it was cold in GT yesterday

To Joe - have a look at other countries boet - My wife just came back from the UK on business - she had the oppourtunity to spend the weekend with 2 very close lawyer friends - they earn a shit lot but their house is extremely tiny compared to ours, they spend 3 hours a day and a small fortune on the trains, do not have a domestic at all, have only 1 small car, cannot afford to go to a restaurant except once a month (we every week - and i am not talking take out like steers, nando, or KFC), and they not thinking about children because with their economy they think they cannot afford it. I also know many people that went over to Auz and NZ and they too say similar things

Eskom did mess up and i agree with sims - but we far better then most other countries out there

agree sparky with the lower water vol things are more unstable -going to raise my temp to 26 so with 4 hour power cut - hopefully i will not hit lower than 22 - now also running battery powered air pump - important to keep water full of o2

in middle of winter, maybe raise my tank to 27 - will have to play it by ear.

so when they planning on loadshedding our oxygen supply.
as Joe said "This Country sucks"

Useless bunch! :( They = ANC and Exdom make the stupid decisions and we get threatened with extreme costs. .!.. to Them. :D Stop the soccer stadiums, huge bonuses, AA and EE, get the old guys back that used to work there, pay them their due and pay for this fup with tax money. Now exdom wants to measure the power usage of affluent area`s and nail them for high usage. Meanwhile they (Us) are just using 10% of the power! Twits! Like my pathetic salary is going up with 50%!

I suggest that anyone who hasn't already done so go to Eskom Redirect and click on the load shedding schedules link. They've changed from 2hrs/day to 4hrs every second day or so, this presumably has less impact on business etc but unfortunately it's the opposite for reef tanks :(

Edit: oh and you might want to go to www.myenergy.co.za and download the little thing they have for monitoring power in certain areas on your desktop...

Now we will start thinking about our equipment a little more carefully..ie for every 100watts of continuous usage 24/7 it will cost R54-00 per month. So maybe that cheap pump with high watt/low flow ratio is not so cheap anymore. Same goes for cheap lamps !!

True Glynn. With our historically cheap power reefers on US forums seem absolutely crazy to go mod all their pumps etc and try get wattage down... Now we might have to start some similar threads...

Generally though lower watter per output devices are better designed since they are more efficient. They are also likely to be better quality. Because of the lower wattage and better efficiency they also introduce less heat into the system as most inefficiency is given off as heat. Lower wattage devices can also run for longer off the same power backup system etc and at the price of ups/batteries make even more sense...

I'm just pointing out the main benefits of lower wattage pumps etc to anyone it hasn't occured to yet...

Now we will start thinking about our equipment a little more carefully..ie for every 100watts of continuous usage 24/7 it will cost R54-00 per month. So maybe that cheap pump with high watt/low flow ratio is not so cheap anymore. Same goes for cheap lamps !!

What about our 400 watt halides, going have to look at skylights and LED tech.

Hi Glynn - thanks for posting again! Been a while! :)

Yeah - I think that a LOT of folks will most likely start looking at redoing their lighting - Warr, ESPECIALLY those folks with the 250/400 watt metal halides..... Those chow up a LOT of power, AND generate a LOT of heat. Nearly ALL folks who have 250watts or 400watt metal halides, needs to use chillers too! Chillers also use up a LOT of electricity.....

NOW - how about's moving over to T5's??? (Many of them ;-)

Hi Glynn - thanks for posting again! Been a while! :)

Yeah - I think that a LOT of folks will most likely start looking at redoing their lighting - Warr, ESPECIALLY those folks with the 250/400 watt metal halides..... Those chow up a LOT of power, AND generate a LOT of heat. Nearly ALL folks who have 250watts or 400watt metal halides, needs to use chillers too! Chillers also use up a LOT of electricity.....

NOW - how about's moving over to T5's??? (Many of them ;-)

Sure it will work ? My corals only really get going when my halide kicks in. Can T-5's work with 800mm depth ?

I am just as frustrated. Agree with Tom. You cannot provide elec for 13 years to millions of people and not plan ahead. We are stuck in this crisis because new supply provison was not made. We are here now so we have to make the best of it.

The funds are now needed to pay for the erection of new power stations. Being in Cape Town I cannot for the life of me see why we do not harness all this wind like the rest of the world. On top of that it is much cheaper to erect than a nuclear power station, forget the fact that it is viromentally friendly. The adds they are running on radio and TV is costing them millions, this could be put to beter use as well.

this is exactly what im thinking.and i just went and got 4*250W SE units :(

Back
Top Bottom