RW15's placement?

Reaction score
Hi I wonder if anyone can help with ideas. My tank is 1500x500x448. Have 28kg of LR in and 20kg washed play sand as substrate.

My problem is that after adding the two RW 15's the create massive barespots in the tank bottom and shifts that sand all over the tank.

Is there any placement I can do or any tips you guys have? Maybe 2 RW 15s are too much for this tank?

Thoughts?

I have the same issue with my 2 RW8s in my 1.2m.
I've had to switch one off for now. I've also set them to their lowest setting.

I started on wp40 in my 1.5m tank. To strong. 2 wp 25 to strong. I now have 1 wp 25.

Well I have set them to H1 that stops, starts the pumps and at 20%. The problem I have is the fish are really skittish with this setting as they get a fright every time the water blast hits them. Will they adjust? I have not seen one Turbo snail, red leg hermit and my cleaner wrasse since I added these pumps.

I have two RW-15's running in my 1.2m
Point them upwards and toward each other, took awhile to tune but they no longer move the sand bed.
Set on random.

Could you post a pic? How tall is your tank?

Ill take a pic but what I mean is, each flow pump in the middle (as deep as you can get) of the side walls, pointed as far upwards as they can go.
Then they basically pointed toward each other (except upwardly) and will differ each others flow.

My current tank is only 45cm deep.

Ill take a pic but what I mean is, each flow pump in the middle (as deep as you can get) of the side walls, pointed as far upwards as they can go.
Then they basically pointed toward each other (except upwardly) and will differ each others flow.

My current tank is only 45cm deep.

I am really strugling with this. Sand is permanently in the water colomb and all over my live rock. The lower I put it the more sand i sucks up from the bed via a vortex and spits it all over the tank.

You'll need to post a pick of rocks in tank. If it sucks the sand up it's to close to the bottom and if it sucks air it's to close to the top. Are you still using 2 wave makers? What sand do u have?

Last edited:
You'll need to post a pick of rocks in tank. If it sucks the sand up it's to close to the bottom and if it sucks air it's to close to the top. Are you still using 2 wave makers? What sand do u have?

Here are some pics.

Yes still using both alternating at lowest speed setting. The return pump nozzle also is putting out quite a blast.

Yeah looks like your sand is really fine?
Mines a lot more coarse.

Looks like you can still point it a bit more upwards, until the cable touches the base.

20151211_083249-min__1449818272_197.245.210.238.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom