Rust on impeller shafts

Reaction score
Ive got a lifetech ap3500 returnpump,cleaned it today and found some rust on the shaft,will that rust do harm and wil the shaft snap eventualy coz ive had two internal pumps and both their shafts snapped,wil the lifetech do the same?

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, rust is bad in the tank, a pal of mine lost all his sps due to a rusty magfloat, see if you can get some ceramic impellor shafts from the sponsors, perhaps George at Tunze could help.

Reaction score
But lots of people use lifetech return pumps and then wont their shafts also rust

Reaction score
guys if you look on the internet...there are many case where even vortechs have rusted....so i dont think anything is really "marine safe" unless its ceramic

Reaction score
Is there anywhere i can get ceramic shafts and how much do they cost,and are there any of you guys that use the lifetech pumps with the normal shaft and wil it cause any trouble

martin

Reef Adict
Reaction score
Yip rust is a concern to use all, but having said that overseas there are owners of magnificent tanks who purposely have a rusting razor blade in their tank as this is a form of Phosphate remover???? Doesn't make sence does it???
I often get a bit of rust on my one or 2 SS pump impellors but I clean when the pump is blocked and under performing.