Running 2 skimmers

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Ari, 19 Jan 2012.

1. Ari

Ari

Hi

I wanted to upgrade my skimmer to a TS2 but my skimmer chamber is too small for it. So I was wondering if I can get a TS 1 and put that in my skimmer chamber and then put my Dymax in the last chamber. Will this work? I read on other forums and sites that it will work because you basically doubling the surface area. My tank is 270L with 70L sump and almost 40kg live rock.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. erratiC

erratiC

There's no reason why it wouldn't be better than just one.. like you said yourself - there's more water being skimmed at any time.

Only way I can't see it making any sense is if you plumb your first skimmer into the 2nd skimmer's intake cos then you're just skimming skimmed water.... but you wouldn't do that now would you? :D

Post pics once plumbed! :thumbup:

Sexy skimming man.

4. Broder

Broder Mudshark

If the water level in your last chamber fluctuates due to evaporation, so will the level in your skimmer. That would not work.

5. IMarine

IMarine

skim 1 skimmer wet and the other dry and yes you can use 2 skimmers

6. rakabos

rakabos

Neither skimmer is very powerfull so i doubt u would being skimming skimmed water in the 3rd chamber. More is more in this case and more is better.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The TS1 should be OK. And depending on your bio-load and feeding regime, it might even be sufficient in running your system on it alone. Obviously depends on the number of fish and if you give frozen foods - which tend to be a bit more messy.

The skimmer in last chamber performance would fluctuate. Between wet and dry skimming. If you have an auto top up system, it would be better. Just check the sump overflow handling capability with more reactors in there. So that it does not overflow when the power goes out.

I have a TS1 running on a QT system, 90L display and 90L sump. And found the performance so so. After I cleaned the skimmer in vinegar for a few hours, the performance increased a lot. Bubbles are a lot better and finer. Yes, agreed, the bio-load is not that heavy.

8. Broder

Broder Mudshark

If you decide to go for it, make sure that you clean out your skimmer cup as soon as you see some skimmate in it. You'll have overflows every every time the power goes out, and you don't want to poison your tank with old skimmate.

9. Ari

Ari Thread Starter

Thanx for all your advice :thumbup:! First question, is wet skimming when you allow the skimmate to come out faster right? Please can you explain what will happen if the power goes out? Or the water level in the last chamber is very low? I'm planning on putting the TS1 in the first chamber.

Oh yes and another question, the reason why I'm getting another skimmer is because I feel my current one is not doing the job. I still have cyano after siphoning it out and doing 70L changes each week doing another one tomorrow. So any other ideas? is it mostly phosphates? I was thinking of pulling it off and putting it in my sump to grow there and not in my display...

10. Broder

Broder Mudshark

Spot on.
    The water in the last chamber will rise as the display drains down to overflow level. When the power starts up again, the water level in the skimmer body will be high, and will overflow into the cup until it reaches its operating level.
    The level of water will be low in the skimmer too, so will either skim very dry or not at all.

Cyano bacteria will usually grow where there is a high level of nutrients that it can feed off, which often indicates that the substate or rocks on which is growing are saturated with nitrate and phosphate. This could be the result of many things, not necessarily poor skimming, but possibly so. What sort of fish load do you have? do they eat all of their food everytime? Do you have good flow in your tank, getting between all of the rocks etc? What is the colour of the skimmate... dark like coffee? How long does it take to fill the cup? How often do you clean the neck?

11. Ari

Ari Thread Starter

Thanx. Ja my rocks are pretty packed up but my flow is 7500L/h in total. I dont feed a lot and my fish eat everything. Fish: Foxface, 2 clowns, 4 chromises, rock blenny, purple goby and a shrimp but those last three almost never eat.
    Here is a quick pic of the tank sorry its taken by my phone
    [​IMG]

And here is the skimmate it takes about 3-4 weeks before I clean it

[​IMG]

12. Broder

Broder Mudshark

You need to skim much, much wetter than that. The skimmer isn't running anywhere near its full potential. You want that much in about 3 days although it will be much lighter. The crap on the inside of the neck is fueling your nutrient problem. Clean it when it becomes visible. . .2 to 4 days. I feel you have about half the flow that you need for a 300 litre tank, although many won't agree. You'll thank me though if you increase it. It really is one of the most under rated components of a long lived healthy tank. Do you stir up you substrate? It's not usually recommended, but if it's very clogged up with fine detritus, you should maybe syphon clean a very small patch every week. . . Like about 10% at a time.

13. Ari

Ari Thread Starter

Thanx Mudshark :). Ill increase my flow and my skimmers rate but next week Ill get the TS 1. When I do water changes I syphon the cyano out the tank but its difficult to syphon the sand as it goes with the water.

Recent Posts