Rule of thumb

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Can someone tell me what the general rule is regarding the size of fish per gallon or litre of water in the aquarium?:(

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
The old rule of thumb was 4 gallons per inch, but that has been holed a bit by the fact that 4 chromis will not produce anywhere near the waste of a 4 inch tang, so not a bad rule of thumb to work with, but remember the potential girth and depth of some fish compared to others.
Also bear in mind you should use the full expected adult size, but don't assume that the fish might not reach that size in an aquarium.

moz

Reaction score
Allot of factors need to be taken into account, such as what fish, what inverts, what skimmer, what type of maintenance, etc. Many people also say a more important rule is inches of fish per surface area.

Reaction score
lighting

So what about lighting wattage(rule of thumb),I have no coral etc. only live rock some fish?what lighting will I need to keep anemones in a 200 ltr tank in the future?

Reaction score
the depth is about 50 cm,what wattage.I have to use 3ft tubes?I have got 2 3ft 12000k 39watt each T 5 at the moment