Rubber reef safe?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by NewbiePta, 16 Apr 2015.

1. NewbiePta

NewbiePta

Hi,

I want too reduce the viration noise from my pumps against the glass and want to use any rubber mats i can cut to size.

Would this be reefsafe? If not are there rubbers i can use and where do I find them?

Thanks.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Not sure about rubber. Usually a blob or silicone does the trick (but that requires pumps being out of the water for a while)

4. NewbiePta

NewbiePta Thread Starter

The pumps being out of the water for a while is not a problelm i am currently redoing my sump and I am in the planning fase of the system I am moving a baffle and I saw someone on Youtube use rubber mats to reduce vibration but i thought i would ask first.

5. zippy

zippy

as mentioned a good blob of silicone on the bottom will sort the issues out quick in terms of vibration, just make sure they are all the same size, best bet is to maybe clean the surfaces 100% then purchase the 50 or 100ml tube from like a builders or something and space the spots neatly across the bottom of both the pump and the skimmer chamber. Just using the skimmer as an example, but don't forget to raise as it were, the skimmer, reactor etc as well as the pump with the spots of silicone on the bottom.

Try and get the base of the silicone(where it sits attached on the bottom of the pump etc) larger than the point, almost like a cone.

6. CameL

CameL

for the return pump or pumps sitting on the bottom of the glass, you can use silicone hose, cut pieces to the length of the pump and cable tie them to the bottom of the pump, then rest the pump on the silicone pipes at the bottom.

7. NewbiePta

NewbiePta Thread Starter

Do you guys know where a good place to buy silicone hose would be in Pretoria? Builders?

8. CameL

CameL

The hose from builders works okay, think it's something like R10 a meter or so, i can't remember.

Recent Posts