RSS Feeds

What does it do, seems to just give me a repeat of posts in computerspeak. I don't speaka da language.

How does this aid us?

nothing happening other than a blank page

Rory will be along shortly to help you out with this feature, but basically, if you don't know what it is, don't use it :D

Um, basically RSS is designed for kinda newsy things, if you have a particular interest in say a few forums you can subscribe to their "feeds" and then your browser or RSS reader will let you know when there are new items.

Opera checks periodically and has a little popup thing when there's new stuff with a built in reader. In firefox RSS feeds can be used as "live bookmarks" where instead of just a simple bookmark clicking the bookmark gives you a menu of all the latest stuff. You can also choose to view it similarly to opera. And I have no idea what IE does...

Oh, and of course the really cool part about RSS feeds is integrating them with other websites, like google in this example:

Go to iGoogle

Sign in, or register if you have been living under a rock :D

Click Add stuff

Click Add by URL

Paste in "http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/external.php?type=RSS2" and click Add.

Click "back to homepage" and voila MASA recent posts right on google :)

If you're new to iGoogle take a look around, can add your recent Gmail emails, local news, local weather, etc etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Outlook to reed my RSS feeds. I think only the new Outlook has this feature but not sure.

Galibore which version of Outlook you using ?

Oh ok, I'm using 2003, doesn't seem to have it :(

In firefox RSS feeds can be used as "live bookmarks" where instead of just a simple bookmark clicking the bookmark gives you a menu of all the latest stuff. You can also choose to view it similarly to opera. And I have no idea what IE does...
IE7 handles RSS feeds in much the same way as Firefox 2. Older versions don't have a clue what an RSS feed is and you'll have to download a feedreader - or upgrade to IE7.

Of course, upgrading to IE7 is only available for folk with genuine MS Windows software - but for the pirates there is always Firefox or Opera :p

dave said:
but for the pirates there is always Firefox or Opera :p

hahahaha

for the meak and weak there is IE7

Yeah for those that don't know any better there is the crap you get with the PC :p

For those of you that use RSS Feeds, you will notice at the bottom of the page a bright orange RSS button, click it :) Just a few more options for you.

In my experience, it overall works faster and displays better, many websites (including MASA) display better in Firefox than IE.

Download it and try it, it's completely free.

Back
Top Bottom