RSM250 lighting indecision

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by ReeferSteve, 28 Jan 2013.

1. ReeferSteve

ReeferSteve

Hey Guys,

So I've got a RedSeaMax 250 with the 6x 39w stock RSM tubes and I'm struggling to make up my mind on whether to retrofit to LED or not...

Like serious decision, spent 2 weeks trying to make up my mind and dunno. :(

So pros t5:
    - Great colour
    - Cheap

Cons t5:
    - HOT in the hood
    - Not sure if its enough light, although probably is.
    - No pretty shimmering

LEDs
    Pros:
    - Easier to cool
    - Dimmable and seperate channels for sunrise/sunset
    - Can get some good lighting effects
    - Pretty shimmer
    - looks more natural

Cons:
    - Have to retrofit hood
    - Not sure can get the right LED combo to maintain coral colour
    - Expensive (comparatively to buying new globes)

So at the moment, i'm at a serious crossroads.
    I'm going to need to replace the bulbs on my tank in the next week or two and don't know whether to do that or retrofit LED.

Help?
    Promise will post loads of pics once a decision has been made!!

Thanks,
    Steve

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

I've seen one person (@Tokalosh) mod their tank hood and is really impressed with the result (he has an ATI unit if I am not mistaken).
    It can be done neatly and I was considering it as well but using the Maxrespect LED unit. I'm waiting until the new RSM tanks are released as apparently they will have LED hoods, I would like to see if the new hoods can be fitted on the older model tanks. Will make my decision from there.

Good luck with your choice!

4. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

If I had the cash I'd go full-out LED, no doubt about it. My 4x39w Odyssea T5 unit is due for a tube relpacement soon and I'm not particularly relishing the spend. It's one less thing to worry about TBH, even though the LED stuff is more expensive initially.

This thread touches on something I've been thinking about recently - the kits from Rapidled are not too expensive, but imnsho the heatsinks look a bit Koos if hung just like that. That's the difference between an OEM product and DIY. That's not to say the DIY stuff is kak - but aesthetics are important to me.

My Odyssea unit has a nice shape with useful legs that stand it on the tank rim - so it's very neat. I will be looking at how to mod it using a DIY LED kit - then I can have the best of both worlds. The only problem I envisage is the fact that the unit itself is very low profile - so it might need some sort of active cooling.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2013
  5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

well, replacing the T5 tubes, and you got another 6 months to make up your mind.

Not sure on the clearance in the hood, but note that LED units are hanged higher than T5 units. And they do not like salt spray or the humid air on the fans.

6. ReeferSteve

ReeferSteve Thread Starter

Ok so what I think I'll end up doing.
    For the moment, I'll replace 2 of the t5's to some pretty ATI's and then think of an LED build.

Ill retrofit into the current hood, so will probably end up using strip heat sinks (3 or 4) with around 18-26 LEDS per strip depending on spacing etc etc but haven't looked into it properly yet.
    Remove the current T5 Lighting and reflector, and then cut reflector so the LEDS sit almost flush with it and have the cooling fans running behind the reflector with each heat sink having preferably 1 fan blowing down its length if I can...
    But still not, sure about the details yet as need to look at drivers and heat sink width and the best way to reflect light whilst removing heat efficiently.
    I'll probably also hook up a temperature probe to the internals of the hood so the fans only run if it goes above 40 deg C, but will check ideal operating temps of leds before I finalize the details.

Eish, going to be alot of work.
    @RiaanP: If I manage to fit the leds into the current hood then it has a really nice splash guard which seals off the lights from water and humidity so would be perfect for leds.

Just at the moment, I'm not sure about colour combinations but will talk more about that when I have the heat sinks planned.

Shall I keep this thread or start a new thread for the build when I get around to it?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Can keep this thread.

I need to one day take a look at the hood of a RSM250.

I just replaced the T5 units in a nano cube with a LED. Due to serious space restrictions, i cut the hood and the light unit is mounted basically on top of the lid. Give that little bit space between water and splashgaurd. Plus the heatsink is outside, exposed so no temperature issues.

Look at post 116 on Gesiggie's fascination - Page 6 - Marine Aquariums South Africa

8. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

is the hood not too enclosed for good ventilation?

10. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

I have never seen it myself but a lot of the units sold and going into the Redsea tanks as retrofits so I would have to guess that its fits and that it is suitably vented.

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I have seen them for sale as a retro fit kit. Cant find the address, I sent it to @Goolam a few months back, maybe he can help.

12. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Ok here goes, found it! Not sure if its what you want, I would've installed them if I still had my RSM 250.

Red Sea Max 250

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

You have 2 options when it comes to led's here:
    1. Buy a unit i' definatly look at the razor! you might be about to fit it in your hood i am not sure as i have never seem it befor

2.Diy your led's. I would look at small thin heatsinks and use unlensed leds, place everything inside your current lighting area that way the water and salt cant get to your led's.

here is a retrofit kit that would fit inside
    http://reefledlights.com/shop/red-sea-max-rsm250p55-led-kit/

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@butcherman, that's a much better kit! I would go the DIY route, much better and cheaper and you can get excellent lights, you should see @butcherman's LED build, very, very good!

15. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I would still invistigate the razor, they are very well priced atm, If it fits problem solved. then look at DIY you can make a workable solution easy

16. ReeferSteve

So I think I'm definitely going to go DIY on this as probably the best way to use the space at hand.
    Had a look at the maxspect fixture and its beautiful :) But won't fit into the hood as neatly as I want it to.

That link that @carlosdeandrade shows pretty much what I want to do and apparently its 40% so gonna send the guys an email and see whats the go with that concerning how loud it is and power draw etc.

Otherwise I'll use a very similar design probably using C-channel aluminium as heatsink unless I find some really thin profile or use something like what those guys are using and instead of having 2 strips, I'll have 3 and then mount the fixtures so there's ample room for air to pass through using some small fans to push/pull air through the fixture.
    Also with the leds running at 700mA the heat output won't be massive so should manage to keep cooling down with only a few bits and pieces. Also gonna run drivers in tank cabinet to further remove source of heat.
    Another thing I'll do is make the cooling fans temperature dependent so they'll only switch on when the temp of the heat sinks hits a certain temperature, depending on what the highest operating temperature for the LEDS I'm using are.

I'll post pics when I start the build :)

17. ReeferSteve

Oooo ok so emailed StevesLEDs about their fixtures and 40% off until the end of this week so I'm probably going to go with that unless he comes back and says that the 40% off price isn't the price I thought it was.
    In which case, DIY :)

18. Goolam

Goolam

If the price is right I'd like to order one too with you if that's ok.

19. ReeferSteve

@Goolam: ya that would be lekker except that I'm actually living in Sydney at the moment :whistling:

Recent Posts