RSM filtration supplies - JHB

Discussion in 'RSM Red Sea Max tanks' started by Breado, 11 Sep 2014.

1. Breado

Breado

Hi RSM Tankowners

Just wondering where do you guys purchase your replacement phosphate free carbon and low density sponge filter media?

Did any of you guys find a similar alternate product that mtached the RSM media for the filteration?

Thanks.

Regards
    Breado

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi @Breado

Is the sponge filter media you refer to the black sponges or the filter pad?

For a 250 tank, I would recommend running matrix, carbon and/or purigen in the back chambers. I do have a media rack that I purchased that helps stacking the media. When I get a chance I will post pics of it. I am also using the filter pad to remove fine particles not caught by the skimmer. Those black sponges have been chucked as I don't have the energy to rinse those things out properly every week. For phosphate removal, I am using NOPOX.

For my 650, I am just running a filter sock, matrix and carbon. I still have the black sponges at the back but might need to remove it in future.

Depending where you are you can get the Red Sea stuff quite easily. Jungle Aquatics and Wild on Pets are two sponsors that definitely have the products. I use the Seachem products for filtration and found that they are pretty good (Carbon, purigen, matrix).

Hope this helps, shout if you need any further info :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Thanks @tekkengal

I have been reading you RSM650 thread - WOW!!

So basically busy trying to replicate the RSM tank spec on a 5ft cabinet setup that I have been modifying for the past 9 months and like the filteration layout in the sump of the RSM tanks.

I like you mods ito the filteration and I was really thinking abt the filter sock. Wild on Pets is my neighbour :).

I look forward to the pics if you do have a chance to post. Any particular filter pad u r using or is it the white ones that Wild on Pets uses in their sumps?

Will take your advice on the Seachem products and use them:

I assume I use these matrix/carbon/purign, post the skimmer?

Thanks.

5. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

lol, thanks! :)

Will try and take some pics tonight of the sump for the layout reference.
    You are correct that the matrix and carbon are post skimmer.
    I am not using any filterpads on the 650, I know some people do use it on the area which feeds into the return pump. I currently have my carbon media in that section.

The area which would have housed the refugium/dsb is being used to hold my calcium reactor and matrix.

6. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for that info, very very helpful.

Thank for trying to get some pics.

7. Floyd

Floyd

Hi,

I have removed all black sponges.

I'm currently using Purigen (in stocking) in a JNS reactor which I have placed in the chamber next to the skimmer.

In the same chamber I'm having Orca cubes and an airstone.

I'm using Phos E to manage my Phosphate.

@tekkengal- please post a pic of the media rack. Where did you buy it? How do you apply the Nopox? How frequent?

Please give me detail regarding your filtration in the RSM250.:thumbup:

8. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Cool thanks, Floyd

Last edited: 14 Sep 2014
  9. Raimund

Raimund

On my RSM 250 I replace the small filter pad every second day with a new one. I buy a large sheet of filter sponge 1cm thick and cut it into sized rectangles - so no cleaning sponges, just replace. I have had no problems with the black sponges

10. Breado

Breado Thread Starter

Thanks Raimund

11. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Hi Floyd,

I am running my media rack in the same chamber that you have your reactor located. It is an inTank brand and looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    I bought it off amazon for a small fortune but you could potentially get this made locally. Plus the new c250s are coming with this feature so there may be a chance that they are backward compatible. I have a massive amount of matrix in that rack together with purigen. I had tried having chaeto in the top but could never find an underwater led to keep it alive (lighting is my nemesis!!! :lol: ).

With regards to NOPOX dosing, I am dosing on my current NO3 readings, which are quite high at the moment. I dose 6ml every morning before heading off to work. It is helping but takes a bit of a while to kick in.

Other filtration, includes the sponges on the vortech pumps. I have to clean these out every three to four days. I also run the filter pad that came with the tank. So far there have been no issues with this clogging up.

I had ozone running but I need to replace my carbon so have stopped this in the interim.

Hope this helps! :)

@Breado
    Will upload the photos I sent you later this afternoon. :)

12. Floyd

Floyd

Hi @tekkengal,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I would do some research on the media rack. I will also contact Jungle Acquatics to check the availability of the media rack.
    :m106:;)

Regards,
    Floyd

Recent Posts