RSM 260 for SPS corals

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Francoisvz, 18 Jul 2015.

1. Francoisvz

Francoisvz

I need some advice please. Is the Red Sea Max 250 with it's standard lights good for keeping SPS corals?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Francoisvz

Francoisvz Thread Starter

Typing error sorry. I mean the Red Sea Max 250

4. Francoisvz

Francoisvz Thread Starter

That is stock standard for keeping SPS

5. tekkengal

tekkengal Moderator

Yup, I kept a few sps and clams under the standard lights. The thing you have to maintain over and above water parameters is ensuring that the bulbs are not too old ;)

6. Rors

Rors

Its "Ok", the lighting is mediocre, you would need to place the sps high up. Being a closed tank, with heat build up it will require a Chiller to stabilize the temp. The filtration, in my opinion, is not great. The skimmer is too small. Dont expect a Zeovit tank of the Month Sps tank. I would rather go for a drilled tank, with same size sump and a decent skimmer where you can run such things as bio pellet reactors etc. One thing to keep in mind is that seeing the tank is gonna be a Sps Dominant tank, it will eventually require dosing of atleast Calcium, Magnesium and Alkalinity as the sps colonies grow and so too do their demands. You will want a dosing pump dosing into your sump. Sps love lots of nutrients, "High import and high Export" and this is where a good skimmer is crucial and things such as bio pellet reactors help. Like I say, Sps can be kept in a Max 250. But it is far from optimal and the results will be dissapointing. You will struggle with coloration and they probably will just brown out.

Mekaeel likes this.
Recent Posts