RSM 250 upgrade part I, the sump looks cack.

Reaction score
I am planning an LED upgrade to my RSM 250. Not LEDs in the hood, but rather removal of the hood and placing a normal tank mounted led unit. My first problem is when you remove the hood the back sump looks terrible. I had a plan in my head and a visiting father in law with some mad DIY skills and this is what followed. A black Perspex hook on cover for the back that rests on the existing tank and can be removed in a flash.

Curved corners looks better so I used my Creme Brûlée torch to heat and bend what I could and the glued the two pieces together with methylmethacrylate.

Tada!!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Just What I'm Looking For

I am planning an LED upgrade to my RSM 250. Not LEDs in the hood, but rather removal of the hood and placing a normal tank mounted led unit. My first problem is when you remove the hood the back sump looks terrible. I had a plan in my head and a visiting father in law with some mad DIY skills and this is what followed. A black Perspex hook on cover for the back that rests on the existing tank and can be removed in a flash.

Curved corners looks better so I used my Creme Brûlée torch to heat and bend what I could and the glued the two pieces together with methylmethacrylate.

Tada!!
Permit me to introduce myself. I just joined marineaquariumsa.com. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States. I am running a RSM 250 with a LifeReef sump and refugium that resides in the original cabinet of the 250.
After using Google to search for RSM hood mods I came across an image of your filtration cover that you stated your father-in-law helped make. This cover is exactly what I have been looking for! We do have a company (InTank) here that makes a cover for the RSM 130/130D but not for the 250. :m23:
I attempted to private message you but it wouldn't allow me to until I had five posts. If you are able to would you please PM me--I would like to briefly discuss the 250 filtration cover with you. [If you are unable to PM me would you just reply here?]

Thank you in advance,
Don

Reaction score
Permit me to introduce myself. I just joined marineaquariumsa.com. I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma, United States. I am running a RSM 250 with a LifeReef sump and refugium that resides in the original cabinet of the 250.
After using Google to search for RSM hood mods I came across an image of your filtration cover that you stated your father-in-law helped make. This cover is exactly what I have been looking for! We do have a company (InTank) here that makes a cover for the RSM 130/130D but not for the 250. :m23:
I attempted to private message you but it wouldn't allow me to until I had five posts. If you are able to would you please PM me--I would like to briefly discuss the 250 filtration cover with you. [If you are unable to PM me would you just reply here?]

Thank you in advance,
Don
pM sent

Reaction score
HI, I know this post was some time ago, but i only live down the road in beckenham (small world). Would your farther in law be able to repeat this design as like you we want to go hoodless but keep it looking really tidy as yours does? If so can you pm me a price?

Reaction score
HI, I know this post was some time ago, but i only live down the road in beckenham (small world). Would your farther in law be able to repeat this design as like you we want to go hoodless but keep it looking really tidy as yours does? If so can you pm me a price?
Funny I first saw the ones from Intank, contacted them only to find that they don't make them anymore. If you are willing to make them I would also be interested.

Top Bottom