RSM 250 improved living leds

Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently bought a RSM250 and running T5s but they need to be replaced.

I see that improved living PE sell a kit that comes to about 205w.

Just wanted to find out if anyone else has done this conversion.

Or if they have done any other led conversationother than the Improved living kit.

Mainly wanting a system that can connect to the switch panel on the side and dosnt require cutting away at the hood or damaging.

All feed back would be appreciated!

Hi,

I cut out the hood and added 2 x Radions, the Improved Living kits are great

I found the Improved Living kit to be a bit white for my liking, but can always use it as a base and swap out some chips. Not sure if it will be on the panel on the side though, as it comes with quite a bulky external power supply normally. I did fit some completely DIY LED’s on an RSM130 and that is working well. Tried to mimic the Radion AB+ spectrum and the corals seem to like it, they open more than they’ve ever opened, maybe you can do the same on an rsm250 and just scale it up. The 30w Cree chip I got from LED Select on Bidorbuy, but you can probably get off ebay, or just replace that with 10x3w Royal Blue to keep overall spectrum the same. The other chips are all 3w chips, and those are a combination of chips from an old IL kit and new chips from LED Select. Think there are 2 UV and 4 Violet chips. The ‘Blue’ is currently Ice Blue, but got some Cyan to swap out 4 out of the 6.

2F369C63-2C90-40C0-9994-513CBCABD8CF.jpeg
591F7558-8525-45AA-BBD7-428133F7109C.jpeg
4B071104-9D78-462E-87D9-3F4A2DA8C40F.jpeg
9B35F762-94D9-428B-9439-4318FE92B068.jpeg
94B78814-09F6-44A7-A06B-2DEDE7E61BF2.jpeg
77732B0E-2CBA-4A36-B8AE-DA83219A0269.jpeg

You get these drivers from LED Select, which can run 12x3w. They are quite small and should fit into hood, then you just connect the 220v output to the cable that goes to the timer on the side.

AE28FFF6-25A0-4638-93B0-7F46D8C39AC5.jpeg

Personally I would keep 2 of the T5 tubes, maybe put ATI Blue Plus or 1 Blue Plus and 1 Purple Plus on the 2 outside ones (if they can run separately). I found on my big tank the look when you combine T5’s and LED’s to provide a good balance between shimmer and coverage.

Personally I would keep 2 of the T5 tubes, maybe put ATI Blue Plus or 1 Blue Plus and 1 Purple Plus on the 2 outside ones (if they can run separately). I found on my big tank the look when you combine T5’s and LED’s to provide a good balance between shimmer and coverage.

Thought about this but am to scared they will melt my legs mounted next to them in the hood?

I have purchased the improved living kit and will let you know how it goes.

Thought about this but am to scared they will melt my legs mounted next to them in the hood?

I have purchased the improved living kit and will let you know how it goes.

hi

i also bought a system from Improved Living PE. would like to hear what you think about value for money and so forth.......

hi

i also bought a system from Improved Living PE. would like to hear what you think about value for money and so forth.......
I personally was disappointed as I was informed that it would be very easy to install as well as I wouldn't need to be experienced in soldering. Once the kit arrived I found I needed to purchase flat bar to mount the LEDS to as well as wire to solder the LEDS together. they come on strips of 3 LEDS so will need to join 3 bars of 3 LEDS per row if that makes sense. Other than that it was a good buy for the price. my corals struggled for a while but I think that was due to the change from T5 to LEDS. For the price it is a good unit. Was just disappointed by the customer service and how I was not informed on the additional costs id need to go and by myself to install the LEDS. Aswell as on of my rows being faulty.

i was also disappointed as they did ask me for my tank dimensions, seeing that my tank is 1m deep i was very impressed regarding the price for such penetrating power needed, but when i got it it did not even reach the bottom of my tank as i found out that they only installed 3w leds so now i had to find a guy here in JHB to add the correct 10w leds inorder for my corals to survive (if they will) .................. very very disappointed.

i was also disappointed as they did ask me for my tank dimensions, seeing that my tank is 1m deep i was very impressed regarding the price for such penetrating power needed, but when i got it it did not even reach the bottom of my tank as i found out that they only installed 3w leds so now i had to find a guy here in JHB to add the correct 10w leds inorder for my corals to survive (if they will) .................. very very disappointed.
Put it this way I wouldn't buy from them again. Heard some people are successful but heard way to many people having issues and bad customer service.

Look at some of my recent builds of DIY LED units. I run mine on a 750mm deep 700L tank and still not run at 100% power. Shout if you guys need help.

Look at some of my recent builds of DIY LED units. I run mine on a 750mm deep 700L tank and still not run at 100% power. Shout if you guys need help.
Help, I too bought from Improved living, lights seem to work, switch on and run etc etc, but doesnt seem to be great lights, everything seems to be surviving but not thriving???

Last edited:
i have only had issues with improved living LEDS.
constant LED failures, a noisy power supply and poor coral growth.

you get what you pay for

Also wanted to build me a unit from improve living but as I'm a beginner I did ask to much question witch anyone would ask and was shown some attitude so I left it as is and got help on masa with great advice by great loving people

I don't want to intrude on the thread but I have placed an order for 4500 LEDs with the correct spectrums to build led units as well as drivers and thermal switches. I have been negotiating with Coastal Aquariums here in PE who will market and sell these units. Special units as like I am building for DUPPIE can be direct directly to me. The only reason I am doing this is to help those who have no experience in diy leds and help the masa community. My first led build unit I built 2 years ago is still 100% without changing a single led or driver as of yet. These are 2 panels with 78 x 3w leds in each off one controller and 1 x 30 amp 12v psu.

My GSP, Button Polyps, zoas and mushrooms have virtually doubled within a 2 week period.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom