RSM 130D Tunze 9002 Skimmer Noise Level

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Potions, 27 Jul 2011.

1. Potions

Potions

Hi guys

I just got a tunze 9002 skimmer for my rsm 130d. I was just wondering what the noise level should be like? Mine appears to be more noisy than i expected. What is the noise level supposed to be like compared to the circulation pumps, cause they way more quiet than the tunze skimmer? I read from most places that its supposed to be so quiet you can barely hear it. The main thing is I sleep close to my tank, could it be because it still needs to break in or is the noise level supposed to be quite a bit louder than the circulation pumps?

Thanks for the advise.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

My one didn't make too much noise, just a little bit from sucking air through the venturi. Although it wasn't in a quiet area next to my bed like yours is, so I can imagine it would be considerably louder in that sort of environment. But the way you describe it sounds like the pump is making a noise? It shouldn't do, the pump should be almost silent.

4. ThaneF

ThaneF

Hi 3chelon,

I have the RSM 130D as well and the stock skimmer was driving me mad.
    I also bought the Tunze 9002 and it is VERY quiet - compared to the stock skimmer.
    I have just checked and mine makes a little noise - but that is mostly the air been sucked in so it's a differant noise to what the circulation pumps make but it is quieter

5. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Thanks for the reps. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is causing the noise, best way I could describe I guess would be a gurgling noise, the skimmer is at the right water level, I'm wondering if it just needs to break in and then will quieten down?

@ThaneF I'm just trying to gauge what the noise level should be like, so would you say its on par with the silence of the circulation pumps or a little noiser? Cause when i switch off the skimmer at night with the lights off the system goes dead silent, but with the tunze on it makes quite a bit louder sound than the circulation pumps.

Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I got a pic of the skimmer in your tank in action just so we can check its running right.
    Is it a new skimmer?

7. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

To add, when the lights are on I can't hear the skimmer over the lights at all, which I guess is a considerable improvement over the stock skimmer, which I'm sure was louder than the light fans, but now I think my mind is trying to play all sorts of tricks with me when it comes to sounds, as well as costs lol :p

8. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

I'll make a plan to get a pic, ye its a brand new skimmer, installed it yesterday. Its a Tunze 9002 running in a RSM 130D in the back chamber, I attached it using the magnet they supplied on the far right, with the one part of the magnet in the power holder section, checked the water level is at the designated mark. What else ... hmm ye so like I said when the lights are off i can hear like a gurgling noise. When it comes to the pump I'm trying to hear it sounds like a bit louder hum than the circulation pumps.

9. ThaneF

ThaneF

It's little louder than the circulation pumps because of the air been pulled through.
    I have also done a little mod to the skimmer, I removed the air line from the skimmer (closed the valve completely) and pulled my own air line through, using the power cordes opening and into the "plug" bar section with a tap. I think that also helps with the noise

10. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Oh cool, ye I saw link to a video of that mod? Hey btw thanks a lot for the super quick replies and help everyone, this sight is really cool :biggrin:

Ok I'll look into doing that mod some stage soon, atm I don't need to skimmer on all the time cause I'm only 1 week into cycling.

11. ThaneF

ThaneF

What I also did was I had a piece of glass cut so that I could put the skimmer more to the middle of the "sump" and put phos remover and carbon and the sponge before the skimmer
    I can't remember the dimensions of the glass will have to check if you are interested

12. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Oh any idea about what to do with the back hood part being open cause of the cup? I've read about the stevie t's media rack and cup you can get, but its pretty expensive for us when it comes to shipping :( I'm not too bothered about the back hood part being open for now, but do you manage to close that part somehow?

13. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Thanks, that could be pretty cool. I got the reefpack 200 when I ordered from tunze cause it was on special at cheaper than just the skimmer by itself. So I got this nano filter 3165 which has another silence pump in the bottom and space for some media in the top, with a magnet attached like the tunze 9002. So I was thinking of placing that into the main part of my tank, as its quite small wouldn't bother me, and putting the mechanical sponge or other filtration media in there? Would that be ok? So it would do mechanical filter or poly filter there before water goes into the back chamber?

14. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

I fitted a small silencer to the airline on the stock skimmer.
    Its now almost dead quiet.

Loudest thing on my 130D are the lights cooling fans

15. George

George Sponsor

The noise level will probably be coming from the air intake I suggest you turn in the screw for a couple of days until the skimmer has run in, then gradually open the screw one turn at a time until you get a satisfactory foam half way up the cylinder cup tube. By that time your skimmer should be much more quiet. Please get hold of me if this does not work, George TUNZE SA

16. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

George to the rescue :thumbup:

17. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Thanks George, I'll do that :)

18. ThaneF

ThaneF

Hi have been able to get my lid completely closed with where my skimmer is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Potions

Potions Thread Starter

Wow thane thats awesome, how did you manage to do that, cause atm when I have it at the water level line there's no way I can close my hood?

20. ThaneF

ThaneF

I put the skimmer in and pushed it down as far as it could go (the skimmer cup rests on two glass ledges in the "sump" area) then I adgusted the water level in the sump area. The water sits one line below the "max" water level mark on the return pump side. I have also added a chiller and an auto top up (you can see that to the left of the skimmer)... all very snug but it works :1:

21. George

George Sponsor

Hello Thane

Are you still using the TUNZE hold on magnets supplied? If you are do you think a smaller (thinner) magnet would help with the fit. Those magnets are just too potent (up to 19mm glass) and I think your tank is only 6 mm. let me know perhaps Germany could come down in width for those skimmers.

George

Recent Posts