RSM 130d reboot

Reaction score
Hi

I am rather ashamed to say my current tank(RSM 130d) has been neglected (for various reasons) and is looking rather pathetic. My plan is to reboot this tank so would like some input on my ideas. Firstly, all current livestock will be moved to anther tank that I bought but have not yet commissioned - plan is to move current water, some liverock,existing filter media, no sand (sand to be disposed of) and then livestock, and do regular water changes to assist with possible nitrate build up.

Question one - problems with the above, or tips?

Then the reboot of the RSM 130.

I want to empty the tank completely and give it a thorough clean, and try and buff out any scratches as well, then start fresh with new sand, liverock, water, and cycle from scratch. Hardware wise - the lights have already been upgraded to LED, controlled with APex controller. I plan to add a chiller (already purchased), as well as TheWaterboy UV ALGAE-X , 3 IN 1 REACTOR (already purchased). I am seriously considering adding a sump, to increase water volume, reduce live rock in display tank, upgrade skimmer, include area for refugium. etc

My questions re the above.
1) sump - has anyone on this forum done this to a RSM or boyu TL 550 - did it make a substantial difference?
2)overflows - tunze has one that some guys overseas have used - siphon based - seems to come highly recommended - is it worth considering this option vs drilling? (It seems the back glass is not tempered and can be drilled).
3) What happens to the back area (current filtration area) of tank if I add a sump, can I use the area for pod growth/liverock (no lighting)?

Thanks in advance.

and do regular water changes to assist with possible nitrate build up.

Question one - problems with the above, or tips?
I would also use Seachem Stability during the transition, it's excellent stuff.

sump - has anyone on this forum done this to a RSM or boyu TL 550 - did it make a substantial difference?

OK not a TL550, but a Nanocube 24g, same as a TL450
u9ysabap.jpg

60L Daro tank added as sump.
Filtration chambers at the back removed, slimline overflow fitted.
DSB and in the green basket cheato.
Bubble Magus skimmer.

System can be left on its own for a week without issues. Stable enough.

I reckon that is a big advantage.

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/nano-tanks/31859-gesiggies-fascination-17.html

Thanks Viper347 and RiaanP

RiaanP - you drilled the back of the nanocube? And you cut out the back chamber? I assume I could do the same for me RSM130....

you drilled the back of the nanocube?

yes and yes.

On the nanocube it gave a lot of extra real estate. But note that your lights might be a problem due to the rockstack moving backwards. As we were replacing the PL tubes anyway with a LED unit, it was not an issue on the Nano.

Thanks RiaanP. How much of a mission was it removing the back panel? What tools did you use? How did you remove the plastic bits at the top?
I would like the additional real estate as the RSM is not as deep as I would like.
Lighting should be okay with LED upgrade I did.

I would like to see pics of your overflow too if you don't mind!:m03:

Restarting a long overdue thread - I have finally restarted my old RSM 130. While a big part of me knows that I should have just upgraded to a bigger tank (and actuallyalready have some of the equipment) I wanted to prove to myself , and my wife, that I could be successful and , more importantly, stick to it, on a tank this size before thinking of anything bigger. So the tank has been moved to my study/workshop where it is out of the way and I can tinker to my heart's content.

Right now in the cycling process, for 5 days or so. Picture of my Tunze wall overflow box in the back chamber - draws water off the surface and through submerged pipe. Have to run at full siphon to reduce noise - I made the mistake of adding sand after the tank had water in - sand took a week to settle, and as you can see most everything is covered with sand

IMG_0728.JPG

A pic of of my overflow pipe and ball valve to get full siphon - wish I had a gate valve instead, as adjustments very tricky - Also you can see the clear hoses for the 2 return pumps from the sump, going back into the rear section of the 130.
Drilling and plumbing the tank, and building the sump myself has been a great learning experience and I would recommend it to all reefers. Based on what I have learnt I may still build my own ghost style overflow box with 2 drains - herbie style

IMG_0729.JPG

My custom built sump - tight fit in cabinet, split into 2 by black perspex divider- front section refugium, rear section primary overflow, filter sock, bubble Magus 5 skimmer, bubble trap, heater, probes, biological media, and 2 return pumps - Jeboa DC 2000 and Bubble magus pump that is actually there for my chiller, but at the moment going straight back into sump. Small piece of live rock in sump, rest of rocks all dead.
IMG_0726.JPG

Another pic of sump - not sure if this refugium light off ebay will be strong enough....nice and compact though

IMG_0727.JPG

Tank pic (excuse the glare and mess in reflection) - rockscape not what I wanted and I may still change - my leds not working - I suspect I wired the voltage controls incorrectly so I need to redo that this weekend
IMG_0723.JPG

Another pic with my Apex unit mounted to cabinet door - temp a bit high at moment - chiller not connected

IMG_0732.JPG

Side of cabinet - wiring all over the place still
IMG_0733.JPG

Reactors and UV externally mounted to different cabinet next to the tank - not connected yet - also above you can glimpse Jeboa R338 that I will use for quarantine

IMG_0734.JPG

Chiller to be connected - it was initially but then the hose developed a leak.
IMG_0735.JPG

So, early days still, but I'm in no rush - still fine tuning overflow syphon with return pumps and water levels and researching possible stocking list. This time I will seek out my desired fish, as opposed to just buying whatever the LFS has in stock.

Will post more pics as I get all equipment connected and tidied up.
Cheers

Just realised I am testing my parameters during cycling period with 5 year old test kits.....maybe not the smartest move..:banghead:

Update on Sump with some Algae, and what I believe to be pods? Using Cheap EBAY LED - have another cheap grow light on order.
sump1.jpg
sump4.jpg
sump3.jpg

sump2.jpg

Still going but completely overrun with algae - lots of reasons but 3 key problems - wrong location, negligence on my part (partially linked to location) and way too complicated.
Busy setting up simpler, smaller nano to save the livestock left, and will then decide what to do with the rest.

So long overdue update - this tank has now been shut down, and all the remaining livestock setup in a simpler nano setup. Attached are some pics I took when doing water change Saturday.
IMG-1931.JPG

DIY algea reactor working better than expected with the small led strip - I used normal garden variety quick connectors for ease of use.

IMG-1933.JPG

Cheato that I removed - 2-3 weeks growth

Will post FTS this evening.

IMG-1936.JPG

Full tank shot - all fish and coral removed from existing tank - toughest by far was the anemone - was stuck into crevice in rock structure - I initially thought it did not make it after being manhandled by me with but is busy making recovery.

With the blues turned down

IMG-1938.JPG

Back
Top Bottom