Real Reefers Cade 300

sorry for the delay on updates guys.

So lets return to the action and have a look at the rest of the CADE equipment. Hope you guys find the info on the skimmer useful. Like i said i'll do an update on its performance ones i have a proper bio load going. We will also be looking at skimmer noise and how easy it is to tune. If you guys have any questions on anything that i haven't covered or overlooked please ask away.

The media chamber :100x65x270mm
IMO a media basket is always a nice addition to any AIO tank. Easier and quicker maintenance so that you have that extra 7 min to enjoy your reef. :m16: The basket is made out of black plastic. It looks like ABS. It basically a one piece molded unit with square holes at the bottom for the water to move through. It has a plastic handle on the top for easy removal from the middle chamber. Lift and pull the basket out in one go. A smaller removable cover fits neatly over the handle. It also has square holes for the water to drain through to the bottom of the basket. You can put a layer of filter mat or floss on top to "catch" most of the solids before it goes through the rest of the filter media. This will help keep the filter media cleaner for longer.

When i sat and thought about the design, i thought the design could have been better. And then while i wrote this part i realized that the actual design will work fine. I'll share my 2 thoughts.

My 1st thought. I would have liked it to be a 2 part unit (not including the top removable lid). You could fill the bottom part with some bio-media for biological filtration and the 2nd part going on top of the bio media with some chemical media if needed. You will clean and replace the chemical media far more often than the biological media. So it would be easier just to remove the 2nd part and working in it on the outside of the tank while leaving the bio media undisturbed. With the one piece basket its not that easy to replace the chemical media while it's in the tank. You have to either digg in between the top handle and grab the media bags with your fingers and pull it through one of the sides of the handle, or you have to pull the whole basket out in one go and expose the bio-media. I don't like to expose the bio-media for more than a few minutes.

My 2nd thought. The one piece unit will work great if you planning a water change and you have some of the old water in a bucket. You can pull the basket and put it straight into the bucket with old water. Now you also have a chance to clean the bio media by shaking it to remove any detritus build up and bacteria mulm on the surface of your bio media.

In the end i guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Let me know what you guys think on the basket design.

20180917_183304.jpg

20180917_183407.jpg

20180917_183421.jpg

20180917_183430.jpg

Last edited:
Just when you think all is good, you find a spanner thrown into the worx :m33: While unboxing, dismantling and inspecting every piece of equipment for this review and build i found the return pump impeller broken. :eek: Instant bolt to the heart :m01: At the time i was not really sure if i should contact @Live Aquatics about this. I mean, i did get an awesome quality tank for absolutely free. I'll just go out and buy another pump. No big deal right.

After battling with the thought of asking i send the pictures to Bruce @Live Aquatics . It was not long before Bruce replied that he will be sending me a replacement pump via courier. Same day i also got a message from Marc @Live Aquatics confirming the replacement. Thanks guys!

Return chamber : 80x65x265mm

So the return pump is an AC pump. Nothing different from what we are use to. It's all black with a black flex hose fitted to it. On the other end is a black threaded pvc fitting. The fitting goes through a pre-drilled hole in the glass. The return nozzle screws on to the threaded fitting. There are no specs on the pump. The only info you will find is on a sticker on the tank. Rated 15W. If i had to guess by its physical size and wattage id say more or less 800-1000lph. The impeller has a ceremic shaft.

The adjustable nozzle looks nice and the quality of the plastic is good. 50mm in diameter, 55mm in height. It's easily srews off when you want to remove the return pump for cleanup. Also easy to clean the nozzle. You can take it apart into 3 separate pieces. It has a good range of adjustability. When the nozzle is pointing straight you will have maximum return flow. When the nozzle is adjusted sideways some of the flow will be lost due to part of the ball closing up. When adjusted all the way to the side most of the flow will be lost. You only need to take it back a little bit for the hole to open up for more flow. I have attached some pictures to illustrate this.

20180917_183612.jpg

20180917_183438.jpg

20180926_181438.jpg

20180926_181513.jpg

20180926_181540.jpg

20180926_181558.jpg

20180926_181619.jpg

Last edited:
Just when you think all is good, you find a spanner thrown into the worx :m33: While unboxing, dismantling and inspecting every piece of equipment for this review and build i found the return pump impeller broken. :eek: Instant bolt to the heart :m01: At the time i was not really sure if i should contact @Live Aquatics about this. I mean, i did get an awesome quality tank for absolutely free. I'll just go out and buy another pump. No big deal right.

After battling with the thought of asking i send the pictures to Bruce @Live Aquatics . It was not long before Bruce replied that he will be sending me a replacement pump via courier. Same time i also got a message from Marc @Live Aquatics confirming the replacement. Thanks guys!

Return chamber : 80x65x265mm

So the return pump is an AC pump. Nothing different from what we are use to. It's all black with a black flex hose fitted to it. On the other end is a black threaded pvc fitting. The fitting goes through a pre-drilled hole in the glass. The return nozzle screws on to the threaded fitting. There are no specs on the pump. The only info you will find is on a sticker on the tank. Rated 15W. If i had to guess by its physical size and wattage id say more or less 800-1000lph. The impeller has a ceremic shaft.

The adjustable nozzle looks nice and the quality of the plastic is good. 50mm in diameter, 55mm in height. It's easily removable when you want to remove the return pump for cleanup. Also easy to clean the nozzle. You can take it apart into 3 separate pieces. It has a good range of adjustability. When the nozzle is pointing straight you will have maximum return flow. When the nozzle is adjusted sideways some of the flow will be lost due to part of the ball closing up. When adjusted all the way to the side most of the flow will be lost. You only need to take it back a little bit for the hole to open up for more flow. I have attached some pictures to illustrate this.

20180917_183612.jpg

20180917_183438.jpg

20180926_181438.jpg

20180926_181513.jpg

View attachment 202115

View attachment 202116

View attachment 202117

20180926_181540.jpg

20180926_181558.jpg

20180926_181619.jpg

Well... Well... Well... Look at that. A Return Pump and Soma a Replacement with that too...... Well done

Hello reefers.
Its been quite a while since i received this cool little nano tank. A lot of patience this side. :m12: I hope to get this bad boy up and running as soon as possible. Cant wait to share the journey! Lets finish with the last piece of equipment for the CADE 300 review.

The LED unit matches the aquarium perfectly in size and design. It's sleek, lightweight and only measures 310mm x 95mm. It fits perfect on the rim of the aquarium with solid acrylic sides that is 10mm thick and a height of 80mm. The CADE logo is laser etched on one side of the acrylic sides. I am not sure if this is the upgraded LED unit because the specs is different from whats on the CADE spec sticker on the tank. The sticker shows 12W LED, but this unit has different specs printed on the LED PCB.

The unit consists of 4 x 280x16mm - 6W LED PCB's giving it a total of 24W. I'm super happy with that kind of output on this size tank. I'm sure you can keep anything from softies to LPS and low light SPS under this light. I have seen some nano tanks with the ZETLIGHT 1201 led which is only 16W that grows LPS and low light SPS.

Unfortunately i could not find any spec on the wavelength of the LEDS. So with my super vision i'm going to break it down as follow :m41:

8 x Cool White
36 x Royal Blue
4x Red

Total of 48 LEDs. Each led is 0.5W = 24W

The unit is not controllable and all leds are switch on or off by a single switch. I reckon with a bit of DIY one can quickly modify it to do more. ;) All the leds are covered by an acrylic splash guard.

I was really surprised by the brightness of the leds when i switced in on. The colors are just insane. As @Vleis Visagie would say. Welcome to the LSD Blue club!!

Hope you enjoy'd my review on the CADE 300 nano aquarium.

Happy Reefing!!

20180917_184143.jpg

20180917_184153.jpg

20180917_184210.jpg

20180917_184221.jpg

20180917_184239.jpg

20180917_184513.jpg

20180917_184522.jpg

Last edited:
Play time!!! :slayer:

What do you guys think of this scape? Small island, not too much height. Less is more and more is more :m16:

20180911_180852.jpg

20180911_180858.jpg

Back
Top Bottom