Royal Dottyback suffering, other fish chasing him

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Lemar, 9 Nov 2008.

1. Lemar

Lemar

I put a Royal Dottyback in my tank on Friday, and he only appeared for the first time this morning (he was in hiding)
    We immediately noticed that he looked tired, and my pajama wrassed and jumping bean angel, was chasing him all over the place. They have never been hostile to any other fish, and are both usually very relaxed.
    What could be causing this?

Furthermore we caught the dottyback, and put him in little breeding tank, in our main DT. His fins do not look well (like they've been chowed on)
    It seems that the other fish were poking at him. He is also not reacting to my movements and does not want to feed? Please help, what can I do to save him? :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

[​IMG]

4. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

I'd put him in the sump to recover without all the other fish / bright lights etc adding more stress. Other than that just keep trying to feed him. I've seen fish far worse recover before

5. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Thanks Matt, I've moved him. I've read somewhere on one of the threads about supplying you're fish Vitamin C? Do you know anything about it? Will this be a good idea?

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Give him Omega One garlic flakes - should boost his imune system a bit ;)

7. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

thanks tobes, that's what i tried to feed him this morning. But he is not interested, will try again later....

8. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Tried Omega One First Flake? Heard it helps for fish just added into the tank that don't want to eat at first.

9. scubaninja

scubaninja

or you could cruch up some real garlic, clean it up a bit with RO and then add it to some shrimp of sorts? found that got my old clownfish excited. maybe it will help here

10. Lemar

Lemar Thread Starter

Tried it and it worked, thanks scubaninja. He is also swimming more eagerly now. When should i put him back in DT, and what if the other fish harrasses him again?

11. Matt

Matt MASA Contributor

I'd give him a good few weeks till he's strong. Then add him at lights out, also try re-arranging your rockwork to try stop any territorial bullying...

12. scubaninja

scubaninja

yeah good advice matt. the aquascape is one thing, did that to introduce my sailfin, or you could put the problem fish in the sump, as in not needing to do the change, but trying to catch them often kind of re-scapes the place anyway so its up to you.
    no problem mate

13. Falcon

Falcon

also try keeping him for a few days in the breeding tank so that the other two fish can see him and get used to him...

but obviously the best thing to do would be take out the two problem fish to the sump and put the dotty back in the DT.only return the wrasse and angel after like four days.

HOWEVER BE WARNED,those dotty backs can be bliksems as well once acclimatised to the tank and will harrass even larger fish...also jumping beans are notoriously aggro.did'nt your LFS tell you this about the dotty back and jumping bean?

14. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

:lol:

Yeah, read that as well. I had two in my hobby so far, different tanks, and never had any problems with them - maybe I was lucky :)

Still love 'em though :p

15. Falcon

Falcon

i've actually seen one of these go really aggro in my friends tanks and he had to eventually catch it out using a small fishing hook with some food on a line!:p

the dottyback btw...and in another friends tank i saw the jumping bean tear the fins of a few damsels and a small coral beauty.

Recent Posts