Rowaphos, NP pellets and 2 TLF reactors.

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Seabass, 13 Jan 2012.

1. Seabass

Seabass

Hi rowaphos and NP pellet users. Need to set up my new sump and this is one of the things I am doing, using 2 Two Little Fishies phosban reactors to run rowaphos and NP pellets .

Please advise, wanting to plumb 2 TLF reactors into one siccie 2700lt per hour pump (using a t piece and not daisy chain). The TLF 550 will run NP pellets and the TLF 150 will run rowaphos. Will there be sufficient flow for both reactors from this pump.

My tank is about 550lts. How much rowaphos do I run in a TLF 150 reactor. How much NP pellets in the TLF 550 reactor.

I do have a siccie 1200lt per hour pump if there is insufficient flow through the reactor used to run rowaphos.

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

i dont think there is a need for both, @Manic just runs NP for his sps tank and all his params are spot on
    i would rather run NP pellets and carbon

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. Manic

Manic Moderator

I'm also running rowaphos but just in a filter bag in the sump.

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hehe, never seen it :)

6. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Oh well I got a PM explaining what i wanted.

Hope the author does not mind.

"Hi Pierre,

The pump should have sufficient flow to feed both reactors. However you cannot daisy chain the two reactors. That is, flow from one reactor into the other. You must "T" the feed to each reactor and adjust the flow to each reactor. This may require three regulation valves to achieve the best flow through the two reactors.

The important issues in fluidised reactors is the flow through the reactors and the amount of fluidisation. Both the TLF reactors, and many others, rely on the flow to fluidise the media. This can restrict the efficiency of the media if over filled as well as the media life.

For the RowaPhos the media must just simmer. I recommend no more than 500ml as the media will become compacted. However for your 550L tank a 250 ml tub, which will remove 3mg/l from 1000L salt water. This means that the 250ml tub should remove close to 6mg/l in your tank.

For the Nutri-Fix pellets recommended dosage is 100 - 200ml per 100L of aquarium walter. This figure is vague because it depends on the tank Bio-load and skimmer capability. The TLF550 should be able to fluidise a 1000ml packet of Nutri-Fix which should be the maximum you would require. However, i would recommend starting with 1/3rd of the packet to start with. Then after 3 weeks add another 1/3rd.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask others their opinion. This is information that needs to be shared.

Keith"

Thanks

7. Seabass

Seabass Thread Starter

Then he kindly explained a bit more:

If their is two regulation valves and the pressure/flow is to high then it is very difficult to balance the correct flow through each reactor. I find the third valve just helps in the adjustment process by restricting the total flow to the two reactors. It is not absolutely necessary though.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2012
Recent Posts