Round 2

Discussion in 'New Members' started by GKirk, 24 Dec 2009.

1. GKirk

GKirk

Hi guys
    I have recently relocated to Abu Dhabi UAE from JHB and have set up my old tank again. I have not done this for a long time so will need some help along the way. I have a 300L corner tank which has been running now for 3 weeks. I am keen to keep a few fish, some anenomes and coral.
    A few questions I have:
    When can I put fish in? Salt level seems fine, I do not want to start with a Damsel.
    A suggestion of how many and what kind fish I can put in. (compatibility issues, I want 2 x clowns, shrimp, starfish and suggestion of good fish to keep tank ecology going)
    Do you place coral and anenomes higher up or lower down on the tank?

Merry Christmas to all
    Grant

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome to MASA!:thumbup: and a merry Christmas;)

4. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA Grant.

You can only add fish after the cycle is complete, might still take a week or 2 more than the 3 weeks the tank is already going, depending whether the live rock was cured or not - that's when the water test 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and low nitrates (less than 10) - please use decent test kits like Elos for eg.

You need to do some homework regarding what you want to keep and compatability. Please just add slowly, 1 or 2 fish every 2 weeks to give the biological bacteria a chance to multiply.

Please let the tank mature for about 9 months before adding an anemone - they need very good lights, pristine and stable water conditions.

You said salt level is fine, what is fine?

5. GKirk

GKirk Thread Starter

Hi Tobes

Thanks for the info, I hope that I can rely on you for some more. I will theck those parameters that you suggested. When I say salt is OK, I mean that the water is at the correct level on my hydrometer.
    What do you suggest as a hardy fish that can get the tank going? I tried the first time with a damsel but I don't know if it had a small fish complex or had an issue with been blue because it was so aggressive I had to take it out after I added other fish.

Kind regards
    Grant

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Damsels are aggressive by nature, especially when added first as they claim the whole tank :p - little fishies from hell those...
    Once a tank is fully cycled, you can add most common fishes - but please don't use a fish to complete the cycle of a tank - it is cruel as the water is toxic to them. Wait until the cycle is complete :)
    Get a pair of percular or oscillaris clowns at first, they do well in newly cycled tanks if water parameters are acceptable.
    Don't add a sand sifting goby (other species are blue cheek and orange spotted or diamond gobies) they need a mature tank as they sieve the sand for critters and not fish poo as some people think. Also stay away from starfish in the beginning for the same reason - a mature tank.
    You can add some wrasses, blennies, blue green chromis and even certain tangs if the tank is big enough. Some angels will do OK but may eat corals and most butterflies need special foods and sometimes die in captivity.

7. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome to MASA...

8. GKirk

GKirk Thread Starter

Thank you for the welcome note....I have already enjoyed benefits from been a member so will remain active.

Cheers
    Grant Kirk

Recent Posts