Rotifers and copepods

Reaction score
Good Day All
I operate a marine finfish farm in KZN and do not know much about the use of rotifers and copepods in the marine aquarium hobby. We produce these for our larval rearing and I was interested to find out if there would be a market for live rotifers and copepods if we supplied the pet trade?
Cheerio
Neil

Good Day All
I operate a marine finfish farm in KZN and do not know much about the use of rotifers and copepods in the marine aquarium hobby. We produce these for our larval rearing and I was interested to find out if there would be a market for live rotifers and copepods if we supplied the pet trade?
Cheerio
Neil
I'll definetly be interested. I'm in jhb.

People are always asking for this on the forum, especially copepods, so I'm sure there is a market. Especially if you can ship them across the country. Not sure how they'll fare with overnight shipping, something like PostNet.

Also interested in copepods, cape town.
What is their shelve life??

Thankyou all for your responses. It looks like copepods are in demand. In reply to hotdog83, I am not sure if any of the species that we have are Parvocalanus and the dominant species tend to go through cycles so they are changing all of the time. However, the species that we would harvest would be free swimming. Unfortunately, for us to ship individually to the end consumer would not fit into our operation so we would be linking up with some of the main distributors. I need to do some work on testing their shelf life but apart from just keeping them alive, which is the easy part, they would need to keep their nutritional profiles up which is more challenging.

I appreciate your responses as it has given me some direction.

Cheerio

Neil

Hello Neil. I would be interested in Copods. I also have cultures of phyto and rotifiers. I also blend my own F2 fertilizer for both fresh and salt water. Please PM me

I would take customers often ask

Unfortunately, for us to ship individually to the end consumer would not fit into our operation so we would be linking up with some of the main distributors.

Another option could be to get in touch with selected marine stores in the main hubs. Especially ones that are willing to put up holding tanks, who you can then guide in the correct way to keep them alive and nutritious for a few weeks. That way you don't have to worry about shipping to many individuals or small packaging. Just send to these stores in bulk on set schedules once or twice a month, airport to airport. They then keep them alive and package when people buy.

@Sheldonbh

There's definitely a huge market. Good luck in your venture and I hope to see your rotifers and copepods available from some of our sponsors soon!

Back
Top Bottom