Ross' Reef

Reaction score
Today I am very excited, I can finally join the ranks of the big boy tanks as I ordered my new tank. I have been battling with my Nano for about 3 months now with GHA and Cayno (Funny thing is it is since my Nano was TOTM, do you think it was jinxed) and very little coral growth so after my deliberating and discussions we decided to go bigger and better.

My requirements was a rimless, starfire tank with a neat and tidy setup.

The tank will be 1200 x 800 x 600 rimless, with a 300 x 300 chamfer on the front right corner. Glass will be 16mm laminated starfire.

Sump and stand will be custom built to suit the tank size.

I have retained Adriaan from Idol Marine to do the whole job for me.
This means I will be using the 'Idol Marine' overflow on the left short side of the tank.

Yesterday I purchased a new Reefoctopus OCTX-200 skimmer that will be modified to be external. A Reefoctopus CR-100 calcium reactor. 2 x 300 watt Jager heaters. I will be using my current Reefoctopus KS-1 kalk reactor and TwoLittle Fishies PO reactor. Return and closed loop will be provided by 2 x Aqua Medic Oceanrunner 3500 pumps.

I am seriously considering going BB (or maybe a super fine layer of substrate). The closed loop will run under my live rock islands.

Internal circulation will eventually be provided by 2 x Vortech pumps. For now my current SunSun and Seio pumps will be in charge of circulation.

Lighting is another story, I am thinking of 2 x 250 MY and some T-5 but I have had enough of a hard time this week deciding about the tank and will work on lighting ideas when the tank is under construction.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It sounds awesome Ross, as well as it costing a pretty penny. but i'm glad you chose to go bigger, bigger is always better;) not for the wallet but hey, its awesome. good luck with the build Ross!

dallasg

Reaction score
congrats, should be great, remember pics when it all starts arriving :)

the size of ones tank is inversely proportional to ones wallet :)

Reaction score
sounds great man...yip like i said in the previous thread...Adriaan builds some mean ass tanks....youll love it.

keep us posted:)

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds stunning Ross, clearly you have done your homework, looking forward to seeing it

Reaction score
Hhhhmmmmm - Ross...... How about those SketchUp pics? And 12mm is MORE than ample at this stage!
Howdy

I did put pics up but my hosting company is messing me about and they are not showing.
I am worried you say 12mm will be fine, I have been told I need 16mm. If I use the glass calc I can see I can get away with 12mm.

Reaction score
12 mm is more than safe.
Where did you upload the pics Ross?
I need to figure this out cause I am paying for 16mm glass and it is ordered.

I have my own web site and the pics were there but I am moving the domain to a new hosting company and it is all just a big mess. When I am on my home machine again, I will upload an image to photobucket and repost it.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
This is going to look very nice - great project Ross. Don't forget the "pics as you go"

:wave2:

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Awesome Ross - how big (dimensions) is the "overflow area"? And are you going to have a "durso"-style stand-pipe in the overflow? Or just the pipe, as is depicted in the picture you uploaded?

And BTW: many thanks for uploading the pic.

Just as an fyi: my 2 metre tank has the dimensions of:
2000mm wide (left to right) by 700mm high (top to bottom) by 600mm deep (front to back)...
And my 2 metre tank is made from 10mm glass - with a lot of bracing....
I have had my 2 metre tank now for 3 years, and never had any issues at all...