Rogue Chiller

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Simmo, 10 Jan 2010.

1. Simmo

Simmo

I have a six foot tank which I am gradually converting to a reef. At the moment I have a dilemma. My chiller has gone rogue. It worked great for a few months, but now permanently displays 40 degrees ( the max it can display), even though the water running through it is at 25. So it has become a manual process, eye-balling the tank temp and switching on the chiller. Then off again when it reaches target. If I don't switch it off, it just keeps on cooling, still showing 40. I spoke to the supplier and he is trying to get a new controller for me (no joy yet ). I am hoping that some of your more savvy members may understand the problem and be able to tell me where to kick it. I'm no electronics genius. Thank in anticipation.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Start off with getting the thermostat checked.

4. martin

martin Reef Adict

Might be the thermostat. When last did you rinse out the chiller there might be a buildup of gunk.
    I would only trust a AM chillers temp control and even mine I ran through my Aquatronica - but I checked regularly and the temp guage was spot on.

Why not connect it to a temp controller if too expensive to get fixed?

Good luck I hope it is just gunk!

5. Simmo

Simmo Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
    It's probably not the best chiller out there. Pacific Coast CL-650. All I could afford at the time. Viper357, the thermostat is probably internal and part of the "controller" that the supplier wants to sell me.
    The gunk build-up sound like the ticket though. It has been running a good while. Martin, you say rinse it? Any special technique for that?

6. martin

martin Reef Adict

Ja - disconnect it and:
    1) run connect to a hose pipe and run water through it at about 3000lph and whilst doing this pick it up and tilt from side to side front and backwards to get all gunk out.
    Then
    2) run a closed loop system with pump, bucket and ro mixed with 15-20 white vinigar. This should do the trick.

I use white wine vinigar to clean everything - it's "ok" for the tank.:thumbup:

Andreas likes this.
  7. Simmo

Simmo Thread Starter

Thanks Martin. I'll give that a go and kep you posted.

8. martin

martin Reef Adict

:thumbup:

9. Tony

Tony

Snob;)

10. martin

martin Reef Adict

Ta very much.

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Should it be the thermostat that is faulty. Make sure you get yourself a titanium thermostat. I replaced my Haliea chiller thermostat with a titanium one, and it never gave hassles since then.

12. Simmo

Simmo Thread Starter

I noticed that the Resun and Pacific Coast are exactly the same. Perhaps it is better know as Resun. Anyway, did what Martin suggested. Great upper body workout Mart!! Didn't do much for the chiller though.
    So I couldn't resist opening it up. There seemed to be no actual thermostat, just a plastic-clad probe that runs back to a PCB that sems to do all the other clever stuff.
    Gave that a bit of a clean, unplugged and replugged everything I could and now it seems OK. Well, better, not really OK. I have to set it to 37 degrees to maintain a temp of 25.5. But for now it is doing it's job. Thanks for all the input.:thumbup:

13. martin

martin Reef Adict

I have to set it to 37 degrees to maintain a temp of 25.5. But for now it is doing it's job
    :)

Recent Posts