Rocks changing colours? Sign of GHA? CYANO? etc

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by flamming angel, 17 Mar 2011.

1. flamming angel

flamming angel

Hi all

My rocks seem to have been changing into alot of colours lately. Patches of green, some areas red (with slime but very lite and some with out slime). No real evident of GHA or anything else but just wondering if this is the start of a disaster. All info will be much appreciated.

Parameters are fine expect Alkalinity at 9.3. Trying to get it down tho.
    Ligthing is about 9 hours 1 blue T5, 2 Actinic, 1 white. Put my 150w MH now again for like 2-4 hours.

Also running activated carbon and purigen.
    Tank running for about 3 months.

Seems like i covered everything. PLease let me no.

Thanks

Last edited: 17 Mar 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. rakabos

rakabos

Cyanobacteria aka new tank syndrome - just ride it out and syphon some out when u can

4. flamming angel

flamming angel Thread Starter

5. rakabos

rakabos

You can either ride it out or if its really bugging you read up on chemiclean. Ive used it once just to see, the cyano was gone in 48hrs but returned a month later. There are a million ideas on combatting cyano, the overriding being keeping nutrients low and getting a different, more dominant strain of bacteria into the tank, oh and give it time :p

6. Tony

Tony

Definately cyanobacteria

7. flamming angel

Okay will the dosing of vodka or other bacteria assist with this?

8. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Yes and no...I wouldnt do that though. First of all with carbon dosing you have got to know what you are doing, and be very dedicated...if done incorrectly you could in best scenario cause more cyano and worst wipe your tank out. Just keep it simple its always best.

Do regular water changes, syphon out the cyano...dont blow it off the rocks cause then u are just spreading it to other parts of the tank, make sure you have enough flow in your tank...where is the cyano building up? Low flow areas where there could be a build up of detritus is the more likely answer here. Also remember its summer the heat in summer is a major contributor to cyano outbreaks. Get a fan or chiller if you are experiencing high water temperatures.

9. flamming angel

okay will keep doing water changes and add an extra flow pump.

10. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

Whats your flow like in your tank? total turnover? Do you have any dead spots...like areas in or behind rock work where detritus can build up? It may not be that u just need more flow, but that you need to adjust where your flow its.

How is your temperature btw?

11. flamming angel

I have 2 m820's abt 6400lph. Tank size 600x600x600. There are a few areas behind a rock where there is a build up but the cyano is on a rock where there is flow. And the temp is always around 27.

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

This is the same reply I posted under the black algae thread on SARK...

According to me just increasing your flow is not the solution to cyano. In fact I had a very bad cyano issue over the last 3 months and the cyano was the worst in some of the higher flow areas. It even grew on the pumps intakes itself.

From my experience the cyano is growing on the rocks due to detritus settlement in the rocks. Use a pump or turkey baster and blow the rocks out where the cyano is and I bet you will find tons of crap coming out of it.

The only reason that higher flow will stop cyano is that it will prevent the detritus from settling on the rocks in the first place. Once you have cyano, increasing flow it will not take it away as it will not be able to lift the detritus out of the rock. Once you have blown the rocks out and then increased the flow you will find that it will not settle that easy again.

So blow out your rocks and fit a filtersock to the overflow to catch the crap. Leave the sock on for say 2 hours and then remove and clean it out. After an hour after you blew out the rocks then blow them out again to lift any detritus that settled and did not go over the overflow. Do this say twice a week for say 2 weeks or until you
    dont have as bad a detritus buildup. Out of routine, I blow out the rocks once every 2 weeks now.

13. Suhayl

Suhayl

Dont use the Vodka, better kept for parties as Midasblenny says. I tried the vodka for cyno, it just doesnt go away. As people say give it some time it will eventually go away. Keep up with daily routine maintenance and weekly water changes and siphoning as much cyno out as you can.

14. flamming angel

thanks guys. Gona clean up today and do this as often as i can. Hopefully i can sort it out before it becomes worse.

15. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

With regard to your first point Marius, the past 3 months have been Summer thus the Cyano issues...I have found in EL every tank that has been battling with tank temperatures almost has cyano problems over summer, I picked this up this year and last...I think there was a thread somewhere about whethere or not chillers helping with the increase of cyano in summer...cant remember the out come there...but this is definately a factor that is greatly overlooked with regard to cyano.

Agree with you on the second highlighted point...thats why I was suggesting more flow, if he has dead spots in the tank and not enough flow to keep the detritus suspended in the water column then there is going to be a building up of it and resulting cyano problems. I too found now over these summer months cyano growing on the intake parts of my flow pumps :p

16. flamming angel

OKay thanks all. I brushed some of the rocks and moved pumps around. But the one issue that i always seem to never be happy with is the fact that my aragonite keeps getting blown in areas and thus settle on the rocks. Guess with a cube its difficult to have enuf flow with out the aragonite being moved. Any ideas or suggestions to assist with that.

Recent Posts