Rock

Reaction score
Hi everyone.. I took some live rock out of my tank about 6 weeks ago. It's just been sitting outside to dry and kill everything off of it. Didn't think I would need it again. Now I want to move other Liverock out my tank and replace with one or 2 pieces that's been sitting outside.. Is it possible to just rinse off the rock outside and place it in my tank or is that going to cause problems? Picture of rock outside attached. Some has been left out for longer than others. uploadfromtaptalk1432130174350.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1432130174350.jpg

Provided that it didn't come into contact with harmful chemicals like pesticides, it should be fine.
It will go through a cycle and you may experience an algae bloom but nothing significantly different to any other cycle.

Thank you TG. Taahir when you say cycle it, you mean go through the whole 4-6 week full cycle procedure again? Hmm.. Maybe I just throw it in my frag tank for a while before putting it into my dt

Last edited:
Hmmmm.. I think there was a red algae of sorts that was growing on the one, some funny little tube worm looking things, had a white like calcium tube with this fan coming out of it. It was basically removed to make space for a frag setup. At the same time to kill what was growing on the rock that didn't look nice. Now that the rock is "base" again I won't to replace it with other live rock that is in my DT.

All rock that is dried is best blasted with FW via a high pressure cleaner. This will rid the rock surface of dead algae, sponges, pests etc. It will not rid the rock of irons especially PO4. There are threads here on masa on muriatic acid treatment. I recommend.

A big myth is that rock has to "CYCLE". Your filter should be able to hand the addition.

All rock that is dried is best blasted with FW via a high pressure cleaner. This will rid the rock surface of dead algae, sponges, pests etc. It will not rid the rock of irons especially PO4. There are threads here on masa on muriatic acid treatment. I recommend.

A big myth is that rock has to "CYCLE". Your filter should be able to hand the addition.
Great thank you. I will give it a blast with my high pressure hose then and place it into the tank. If the Po4 was hardly there from being in the tank before, however it's been sitting outside now with stuff dying off will the rock now leach new Po4 into the tank?

Wow, never new that. So if I take some rock with caulerpa and aiptasia out I can replace it with dry rock? I'll be doing that this weekend then. Thought I had to cycle it.

Wow, never new that. So if I take some rock with caulerpa and aiptasia out I can replace it with dry rock? I'll be doing that this weekend then. Thought I had to cycle it.

Why would you want to Cycle?

All "ROCK" is, is a surface area for bacteria to grow on. AND, depending on its composition, an area for irons to attach to.

To "CYCLE" rock "live rock" is to allow the organisms that have died during the collection/shipping/purchase process to complete the nitrogen cycle.

If your rock has no die off, then it will have no affect to you system other than to attract bacteria to propagate on a new surface area for nitrification.

IMO

I can go deeper into the subject for you if you want.

Last edited:
Please go deeper, just for interests sake. Can post here or start a thread in advanced section if you want

Was hoping you would do some research. :biggrin:

Get some thoughts going on a thread and i will chime in and help. You youngsters need to keep reefing exciting and understand that the hobby is evolving and methods and set ways change.

Good luck and i am sure you will come up with some exciting views.:thumbup:

Was hoping you would do some research. :biggrin:

Get some thoughts going on a thread and i will chime in and help. You youngsters need to keep reefing exciting and understand that the hobby is evolving and methods and set ways change.

Good luck and i am sure you will come up with some exciting views.:thumbup:

Will see when I get the chance. Exams coming up and projects galore to be done. Will see when I get some time

Depends on the tank. I would not add all those dead rocks into a running TL550. But on a 500L size system, its a different story.

Back
Top Bottom