Rock Urchins

Reaction score
hey guys:)
I have three urchins, two rock urchins and a long spine.

i rarely see the reef fellas as they are burried deep in the reef, but they have come out recently when i was shooting fish:)

here are some far away and some under flash close up, they do a great job on my corraline, but knock a rock or two over occasionaly.

1606.jpg

hey guys got a long spined urchin but he has taken a serious liking to my leather coral is this normal ??

i took the urchin out the tank last night and put him in the sump for now,
i also got two new hammer corals so now im really nervous to put him back in the tank incase he starts to walk all over the hammers as well ... any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

urchins eat corraline and stuff, they are a bit clumsy though and climb over abo****ely everything, so maybe its not trying to eat it just moving about? as long as you dont see damage to it it should be fine

it ate part of the leather coral. i moved it to a place where it can not get to but it now sits under the coral all day spoke to the guys at the lfs they said it was unusual
do i put him back in or leave him in the sump thanks scubaninja

leave him in the sump for a little while, maybe let your leather recover a bit, it is very unusual, maybe check to see if something else has chomped the leather too? maybe the urchin was in the wrong place wrong time? anyway check the coral over the next few days, see if its recovering, if it gets worse then it may not be the urchins fault, but just check to make sure, if it is the urchin you may want it to remain in the sump, or swap it for an urchin that doesnt have a taste for your leather?

hey dogshow,i also catch my urchin on my leather stem now and then, but he rarely does harm and just gets some of the algae off im guessing.. havnt seen any damage

Back
Top Bottom