Rock Scaping on eggcrate help?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by neo, 4 Jan 2010.

1. neo

neo

Hello,
    I've been advised to put my rock on eggcrate to counter point-loading, how do I actually go about doing this? anyone with pics?
    The scaping I've looked at so far has the substrate right up to the rocks so i cant see any eggcrate.
    Thx.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

there are several ways to do this

if you want to raise the rock work a few cm and gain some height then you need to build a rock stand made from pvc tubing, pvc weld and then cable tie the egg crate onto this .... many people couple this with a pump that turns on periodically to remove or prevent detritus build up under the stand .... remember to make the base flat enough to distribute the weight as well.... i.e. a full frame as opposed to legs only

if you dont want to raise the rockwork, simply put a piece of egg crate on the glass bottom, and pack the rock on top of this.... then add sand

4. brentv

brentv

Hey Neo... I'm about to start doing this tomorrow!
    My first thought was to use 50mm pvc pipe pieces sealed and full of water or sand coz if you drill holes it will become a trap for detrius and put the air crate on top in steps going up. But what I am going to do is actually use the aircrate, pvc weld it together in the shape of triangle boxes for more depth and aethetics. It will also allow great waterflow and smaller fish can hide from larger ones if they feal threatened.
    I'll put up some pics after I've done it tomorrow!
    nice thing about it is it saves on live rock, sand and you can have powerheads running at the back so nothing gets trapped!

5. Neil H

[​IMG]
    here i mine before it was completed

6. neo

neo Thread Starter

Thx, neil, are those electrical pvc? did you cabletie the rock to the stand?

7. Sentari

Sentari

That looks like electrical piping. Due to all the safety regulations you cant get closed 90 Degree's and othere now.

Goto an irrigation place you will be able to get the piping you looking for there.

8. Neil H

that is electrical pvc yes, just make sure if you use the electrical connectors that you remove the screws..... personally i would not use it again and would try find a black pvc instead ...... (watch this space sometime soon muhahahahahahaaaa....)

no need to cable tie the rock, it just sits on the stand ..... check out my thread in the large tanks section or follow the totm link under my sig to see what the tank looks like now !

9. Norries

Norries

you can also put glass marbles in the pvc pipe frame to make it heavier, this will help the stand to stay at the bottom!

Recent Posts