Rock pools Cape Town for viewing

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JsPLAYn, 29 Apr 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn

hi... anyone know of nice places with rockpools in Cape Town were i will find zoas possibly ,nemmies, fish, hermit crabs etc.... i dont want to collect anything, i would just love to check them out in there environments..i know many have tried keepin locals with no success,so thats why i wont bother collectin but rather have a little excursion out of it;)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Zombie_CT

Zombie_CT

Down by the Pavillion swimming pool in Sea Point, all the rocks down towards the Waterfront are good for viewing at low tide.

4. 2balive

2balive

Also some nice spots between Muizenberg and Kalk Bay.

Also some very nice snorkeling at Simon's Town. There a nice small beach pass boulders that is perfect for snorkeling as well.

5. mattie

mattie

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Strand rock pools

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

Mmmmm i really believe you wont collect anything;)

7. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

Hey, awesome man, were exactly in strand is that?

8. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

the water there is verrrrrry brrrrrrrrrr:lol:

9. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

1stly i believe for any type of collecting you would need a permit.... and 2ndly verrrrry little people actually have success in keeping local caughts , so 3rdly , why waste time and money on a permit if you wont keep dem more than a week, and i wont do it illegaly cause my record is clean:thumbup:and i would like to keep it that way.....

maybe ,just maybe a clean up crew is more hardy?????

ive recieved locally caught urchins before from kalkbay... man are they pretty. pink,purple blue etc... but they didnt last more than a day:(

10. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

You actually get some pretty cool stuff down your way, but you need a thick acrylic tank (for insulation) with a serious chiller. On the plus side though you don't really need much light. I'm surprised there aren't more CT guys who have coldwater tanks...stuff like Corynactis anemones are easy to keep and look pretty spectacular:

[​IMG]

11. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

wow those are nice:p

i guess what stops us is the huge expense that goes into it.... coupla guys did try and even with chillers ,still didnt have success, besides for local nemmies, i actually know a few guys who keeps them without issues in there tanks

Last edited by a moderator: 30 Apr 2012
  12. SteveZi

SteveZi

I have to disagree...
    Keeping local fish is easy.
    Keeping most local anemones is easy, but annoying - they constantly walk around and eat your fish..
    Keeping local urchins is easy, but annoying - they move your rocks around.
    All can be kept in a temp range between 20-25degree C and will do fine.

ps, by local, I mean specimens collected around the Cape Peninsula.

459b likes this.
  13. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Local tanks aren't as hard as everyone makes them out to be. The problem comes with stocking, most people take whatever thy can find without reading up on that species requirements.

14. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

you obviously speak from experience....???? i would like to learn more.. i only spoke from my hearing experience,havent personally tried tho

15. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

true true, but ok , it seems this thread is moving off course :lol: .... im not interested in collecting and keeping

lets just say im no way near going to mauritious to dive the reefs lol, so why not explore our locals solong:blush:

16. SteveZi

SteveZi

For info on Cape Peninsula spots and species, I recommend the books by Guido Zsilavecs and Georgina Jones - just google SURG.
    On the subject of books - for the serious fish enthusiasts - if we are lucky, the good people at SAIAB are working on getting their new book to print this year. It will cover the Western Idian Ocean, the Red Sea and Persian Gulf fish species (3000+) and will come out in 5 volumes.

17. Mewik

Mewik

Some of the best rockpools I have seen are up the coast at the West Coast Nature Reserve in Langebaan. If you go over to the ocean side there are some amazing pools where the walls are carpeted with diff coloured anemones etc. I'm always fascinated by the amount of life you find in a pond that initially looks rather uninteresting, once you look closely you notice so much going on. I always think its like christmas because you almost always see something you have never seen before and you never know what is hiding under a rock.

Next time I'm up there I'm gonna try spend some time taking some pics of all the different critters around there. As far as collecting anything there goes I think the rangers will permanently dispose of you if you try it lol.

18. JsPLAYn

JsPLAYn Thread Starter

Awesum, thanks guys...

19. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I agree, but temp will mostly be an issue as a guy might collect an invert from cold water ranging between 11 - 18 deg and then expect it to thrive in a 26 deg tropical salt tank. It might survive for a while if the acclimatization was done slowly and correctly. Emphasis on "might"

Recent Posts