Rock driller

Jacojs

Blenny
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I dont have a photo of the creature but I can show you what it is doing. It seems to be drilling or digging in the live rock, there is a pile of white powder forming and I can sometimes see some of it fall out of the rock onto the bottom rock. See photos.

2015-12-31 16.57.41.jpg

Powder on bottom rock.
2015-12-31 16.56.28.jpg

There is a Brittle star higher up in the rock but they dont do this do they?

2015-12-31 16.58.14.jpg

Thanks!

Jacojs

Blenny
Reaction score
Please tell me Eunice worms don't do this! Nobody ever heard of or had anything similar happen?

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
I've had something like this before, never knew what it was though. You do get rock boring urchins and I'm sure there's worms that will do this as well.

Jacojs

Blenny
Reaction score
So could be good and could be bad will just have to wait and see. Thank you viper. I will keep trying to see if I can see what's doing it and will post if I catch a glimpse of something, if I'm very lucky maybe a photo.

Jacojs

Blenny
Reaction score
I don't know if I am being paranoid but I swear I can hear clicking inside my tank! How loud can a baby mantis click?? I have heard about 6 to 7 clicks now in about 5 minutes and it's actually still going.

Jacojs

Blenny
Reaction score
I tested my ammonia and it read 0 so I added another ml of ammonia to test again in the morning. The clicking started soon after I added the ammonia.

EFJ

Reaction score
Where did you buy the live rock, private or at a lfs (please no names)? Also check for a cordless drillind machine drifting in the tank..... All jokes aside, would like to know what it is. If you bought from a lfs (local fish store) maybe they can tell you where they got it from and if they have similar problems. Hopefully not somthing that can cause problems. Cilcking may be a mantis but I think some snails or also do that (please correct me if I am wrong). Try and get some stability to help with the cycling less stress on the current inhabitants.

Jacojs

Blenny
Reaction score
Haha. About 4kgs of live rock from a lfs. I am using special blend with this cycle. Not as good as stability?

EFJ

Reaction score
Special blend vs stability, well both are good and bothbhave good results. Stuck to what you have started with (sorry you didnt refer to what you were using, as they asumptions is the mother of all stuffups my stuffup).

EFJ

Reaction score
Variety can always give better benefits than just trying to stick to one. It is a personal preferance, like trying to get a variety of bactetia from different reefers.

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
@Viper do both of these dig or burrow into live rock?
From my experience, the mantis prefers to burrow under rock in the substrate although they do live inside live rock as well. Whereas I think pistol's prefer to live inside rock, so it's possible the pistol may be burrowing in the rock, I'm not 100% sure, will need to do some reading up on it.

Jacojs

Blenny
Reaction score
AHA! @viper357 I literally just saw what I would say is a pistol shrimp :slayer: It has an almost transluscent body and one huge pincer. It was about 1.5cm long. Very fast and pretty shy even with the red light i used.

Now this is not a bad hitch hiker to have right? How big do they get? Most importantly, how do I keep it alive? My tank is still cycling, what will it eat and how do I get it to him? Will it eat the britlles in the tank?

So relieved its not a mantis shrimp but even if it was it would have been just as exciting!!

Jacojs

Blenny
Reaction score
Okay, so I stuck a piece of prawn meat in the hole thinking he might eat it later and as I was putting the cover back the meat disappeared into the rock! At least its eating, I hope it survives. Is it cannibalism feeding it prawn meat :confused1:

Last edited: