Rob's Cesspool of Zeo Neglect...possibly

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rob189, 28 Nov 2012.

1. rob189

rob189

Ok so i havent been as active on the forums as i should have been (Finals, moving house, etc etc)

Let me fill you guys in on everything. We're in the process of renovating our house (new tank included). We're talking about new DT, new sump, new stand, new lights, the works.

DT will be 1.5L x 0.6W x 0.5H and the sump needs to fit under it along with everything else ( electrical board, etc)

the net water volume should be close to 500L (sump included and 20% for rock work)

Tank is going to be full blown sps with a couple LPS (torch, open brain, etc)

Filtration is my main concern. I've been reading up on Zeovit for a couple of months now and am keen to give it a try. I'm just going to stay with the basic 4. Also im probably going to get dosing pumps for Ca, Alk and Mg.

Lighting is also an issue...my dad wants led, but i want a nice 250W mh and T5 unit (2 x 250w MH and 4 x 54W T5's , the giesemann unit )

All feedback would be appreciated (i.e. "Dont go zeo" , "Do this for your sump" , "Add this" , etc etc)

Oh and if anyone could give me a rough estimate on the cost of running Zeo (basic 4) per month, it would be great.

Thanks

Rob

maybe i'll update my tank thread if i get some juicy replies:p

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

How could you not want to go for LEDs for lighting? id start with them and then supplement, MH's could raise the chance of having to purchase a chiller.....:whistling:
    and dont go zeo, go ocra bio cube ;)

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

LED's, big skimmer and Bio cubes

5. rob189

rob189 Thread Starter

Yeah i think im going to go leds now. Lots of people are saying that theyre awesome. Orca bio cube?

6. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Good choice but orca biocube???? how dare u:p

Check out the forums on the cubes, basically a miracle thing that keeps nitrates zero

7. Seabass

Seabass

Rob, have a chat with Mark. He was running Zeo and his tank was looking awesome.

Also see if @ Tremayn will comment as I know he was running zeo.

When I looked at zeo I think the cost on my 4 foot worked out to R 300-350 a month. But that was a long time ago and this could be wrong.

Led for sure, looks like your tank will be shallow enough. You can supplement with t5s. Forget MH. Get a chiller. Best thing I have done so far for my tank.

Make sure your zeo reactor is big enough.

PS: what are you doing next year, If you going away to study I don't recommend zeo, heck I would not even set up a new tank.

Last edited: 29 Nov 2012
  8. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Agree with what most have said above. If you want to go with zeo, be prepared for a little bit of work and a little bit of a bill to replace stones every six weeks. The system has great results for those that are willing to maintain the rather strict regime.
    Personally, I would recommend Orca Nitra Guard Titanium Bio Cubes, run together with a good GFH or GFO, purely from a cost and ease of maintenance point of view. A few hundred Rand for an air pump and a gfh reactor and another few hundred for the cubes and GFH media will take care of your nitrate and phosphates for at least 6 months. Around R2K, as opposed to around R3000 for a zeosetup (special at the moment from TSR) Followed by around R200 every six weeks for stones vs Zero cube replacement for at least six months.... Also not sure on how long the food7 and zeostart will last on your tank.

Regarding the light unit, this is entirely dependant on what you intend keeping. There are some awesome LED units out there at the moment, but you are loking at nothing less than R12K for your system. This is based on curent promotional prices for example on 3 maxpect razors. Versus a good T5 lighting unit, I'd say go for the T5's, until decent LED units become more affordable. Scan the for sale section, you are bound to find some decent units there.
    As much as Metal Halides pack a powerful punch, I would advise against them in terms of heat created and running costs. The same shimmer effect can be achieved with a few LEDs and a good t5 unit.

9. Seabass

Seabass

What happened in the end, zeo or not for the new tank?

Recent Posts