RO water

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ashbeggs, 21 Jan 2011.

1. ashbeggs

ashbeggs

Please can someone help me in determining if the following Water purification unit would supply pure enough water to use for water topups and also as water changes mixed with salt?

Filtration -
    PPF (sediment filter, removal of sand silt, dirt and rust particles)
    UDF (Reduction of odour, taste, chlorine and halides, deleterious substances, Fe, Hydroxybenzene, As, Hg, Al, CHC13, CC14)
    CTO (Reduction of odour, taste, chlorine and halides, common organic matter and micro-organisms, extremely tiny particles, suspended substances and colloids)

Source water TDS = <300 PPM

Its a 3 cartridge system with changeable filters.

Thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

Whats the TDS of the water that comes out of it?

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

That seems like a drinking water unit as it has no membrane or deionising resin. If it's really cheap then you could add on the extra required filters, ideally you really do need a membrane, the best person to contact would be The Waterboy, he will be able to advise you on the cheapest and easiest solution.

5. Obi-Wan

Obi-Wan

cleaner, clearer but NOT enough...

:biggrin:
    That's largely correct!
    What you have are ONLY the 3 PREFILTER STAGES.
    These occur PRIOR to ANY decent Reverse Osmosis and/or De-Ioniser( RO, RO-DI) unit.

Simple upgrade includes , but not limited to
    fittings/adaptors , tubing, membrane housing with check valve,RO membrane, flushkit with waste restrictor...DI and/or Remineraliser stages optional

SO in short...NO.
    It is NOT going to make suitable water pure enough for topup, and salt mixing.

YET, it will produce water much better than you began with ..with just a minor TDS reduction.

HTH

6. ashbeggs

ashbeggs Thread Starter

Thanks guys.
    I'll be getting an RO unit from the waterboy rather.

7. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

OMG....an RO water discussion killkanga

8. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

with the unit stated above you may not even get a t.d.s reduction.

give me a shout and we can either upgrade your unit or give you a super deal on a waterboy unit;)

082 879 39 43

in the meantime.....i recomend you don't use that water in your system

9. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

lol...yeah ....but at least in tjhis discussion we can sove the problem instantly instead of a huge debate about saving the entire world:tt2:

10. viper357

What's wrong with an RO water discussion?

11. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Marco in your professional opinion can one drink RO water instead of tap water due to the ever declining quality each year? What would you suggest?

Keep in mind I have a Waterwell 6 stage RO filter installed in my home :thumbup:

12. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Over the weekend I got into a good debate with a few members on this forum regarding RO water and that nobody should drink it as it is very unhealthy compared to normal tap water.

Just for the record I said it was ok to drink and if you felt bad about the small amount of minerals you don't get along with the rust, fluoride and other contaminants then drink Orange juice or something. A few guys disagreed with me :thumbup:

13. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

yes you can..................and yes you should................
    over the last few years the debate has occured that r.o.water is "too pure".......and your body does not get the minerals it needs............crap...........as you said before....drink one class of juice and you past that point.

its common sence that the purer the water .....the better as it helps rehydrate your body and flush system of toxins as pure water will absorb these.

however just to keep people happy...manufacturers of r.o.units now place re-minerilization cartridges as a last stage on there systems......it does no harm....makes the unit sound bigger better and more expensive than the next guys etc etc......in truth the cartridge costs nothing and it just adds calcium and magnesium and buffers the ph....so it keeps the people who like to argue....mouths shut.....lol

i just read that thread a few minutes ago....it was quite funny.....the poor dude who started the thread just wanted to know what was wrong with his machine.......:whistling:

in short................filtered or r.o.water is better than tap water by far........

just dont drink water after it has passed the de-ionising resin chamber as amines can grow there.....and always flush a r.o.unit before drinking the water.........as the old water standing in the membrane will become stagnent after a few days

14. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Thanks mate and a lot of what you said in your post makes sense as I have done plenty of reading on this subject over the past 2 months. In my humble opinion Id rather drink RO water than tap water we are getting these days.

My theory is backed by a little paranoia but if you see how the South African Government runs its departments eg: sewage treatment plants near Hartebeespoort Dam. Then why would Water affairs be any different? You can only imagine the rubbish they are putting into our drinking water. I have heard rumors that the fluoride (which is a poison by itself) is bought from a factory in China. Imagine how poor the quality is compared to the older stuff we used to get from the USA :(

15. viper357

Off topic.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2011
Recent Posts