RO water - Buy from LFS or make you own

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by CARNaG3za, 9 Jan 2018.

Voter count: 22
?

What RO water do you use:

1. LFS bought

2. Home made

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. CARNaG3za

CARNaG3za

Hi Guys,

Just want to check with all of you.
    Is it cheaper to buy RO water from the LFS or to make your own?

I need to move forward with my tank setup but the purchase price on RO system is holding me back.

Your advise please?

2. Guest

3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If you have a small tank then buying water is probably cheaper. On larger tanks its a no brainer. Having the ability to make water yourself in the evening in case of an emergency is also a point to take into consideration even when having a small tank. I would always get my own unit.

Kunhardt likes this.
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Really depends on your system and how much you need a week. System drops about 10% a week, yeah yeah, does depend on factors like temperature, drafts, fans over the sump, open algae scrubbers. But as a guideline, you need 10% a week just on top-up.

Nano 100L tank, you need 10L a week. Around there. So one 20L or 25L drum would be enough for 2 weeks. Worthwhile to set up a salt mixing station? Nope, not really. 2 drums would be enough for 20% salt water change every second week plus RO top up for 2 weeks.

1000L system needs 100L a week for top up. That is 4 * 25L drums to carry out the car every weekend. If you do your recommended 10% salt water change a week, that is 8 drums. That will seriously not be funny within a couple of weeks.

Kunhardt and JayM like this.
  5. Jones

Jones

If you have, for an example, a 100L tank
    Estimated 20L a week for 10% water change and top up.
    52 weeks - 1040L a year
    Estimated water cost per/L - R1 = R1040 a year.
    Decent RO Unit = +/-R 1600
    R 560 extra to have your own unit vs bought water.
    This excludes traveling costs to get water, maintenance/replacement of "consumables" on the RO Unit. Another factor is the convenience of not having to collect water - Which includes travel time and carrying buckets a distance.
    If you have a model with inline TDS meter, you will know what water quality you are getting vs what you get be getting from the supplier / LFS.
    Depending on water consumption the cost saving will be over different time periods.

A good unit in good working order can be sold again a decent price too.

Renald likes this.
  6. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

Get your own unit ,its just better.

7. Joshua1

Joshua1

Get your own unit.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but you pay something like R2.31 +/- for 1000L of municipal water if you use less than 30K litres per month. That gives you R0.002 per litre. The LFS charges you R1 per litre of RO/DI water. Do the math.

I used to buy 200L of water per month = R200, now I make my own RO and 200L = R0.40 per month. You have wastage of 3 times that so 600L = R1.20 per month

Plus I have found that the LFS RO water have high TDS readings sometimes if you don't check it you can have issue. I like having control over my system

Last edited: 11 Jan 2018
    BarryRoux and r0ckf1re like this.
  8. Devon12

Devon12

Lfs that way we you connect with the shop and can potentially walk out with more than just water hahahahah if its strictly about price thou then its a no brainer to get your own unit.

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You water is very cheap if that is your rate. Our rates are at least 10 times that much with a top bracket of about R45 /1000L

10. Joshua1

Joshua1

I quickly checked and it is R13.54 per 1000l for my usage.

With this I pay R8.12 for 600L of RO water to make it myself vs LFS that is R200

11. Jones

Jones

Out of interest, does that include the waste water when producing RO?
    Would like to work out my costing too

12. Quintonv

Quintonv

my 10c, my main reason why i bought my own RO unit was not about regulating cost but more about regulating the quality of RO i use in my tank

13. Morne Fishy

Morne Fishy

We got our own RO, cheaper is debatable as the waist water is around 1/3d of the RO produced, however I can change water a night, mix salt anytime and don't have to drive to a petshop for water. Just my 0.02c

14. Joshua1

Joshua1

Yes it does. For every 1 litre of RO you waste 2 litres (roughly) of water so you will see that for 200L of RO my calculations is on 600L of municipal water.

I changed initially because of the quality and the control over my system, did the math afterwards because I was asked if it was cheaper.

Both ways, cost and quality makes sense for me

Last edited: 11 Jan 2018
    Jones likes this.
  15. Wasabibutler

Wasabibutler

I bought a RODI system towards the end of last year. Great investment, regardless of cost, which is cheaper in the long run. Our pet store sold their RO at R2 per liter. Thats rough. And they didnt always have available.

Now I control it, I know its 0TDS and I make as I need.

And I tend to be more disciplined about my water changes. Was always too lazy to drive to petstore to get RO. And hauling it back and forth is a pain.

The waste I drain into my pool so I topoff the pool less. Win win.

Well worth the money.

16. srecho

srecho

Have your own RO system with motor to push water more forsful throu membrane.Wasteful water goes in garden . Then you can have exstra filter who will add up same minerals back in water for you to drink by just swiching 2 valves.

17. drab808

drab808

Just my way of thinking. Your LFS will pay around the same price for water as you will and will have the same costs as you will have to make your own, except they need to make a profit or at least break even so you will inevitably at best pay the same as they factor in costs to pay for their units and water, plus whatever markup. So in the long run I see it to be cheaper to just have your own unit

Recent Posts