RO Water Blaster Pump - L/h Increase

Discussion in 'Pumps and Waterflow' started by Marlin Fischer, 31 Aug 2009.

1. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Mutantfish

Hi peeps

I ordered some RO Water Blaster Pumps (x3) for my closed loop (x2) and return (x1) of my new (2m x0.8m x 0.8m) Reef tank.

I wanted the 7000L/h pumps (88W) however the supplier said that there were none available.
    Instead i was sold the 5000L/h (60W) pumps with a larger/better impeller that apparently would increase the flow to the required 7000L/h??

Anyone know if this sounds plausable? I dont understand why R Octopus would sell the 7000L as a 88W pump if they could make it 60W. (apparently the only difference btw the 2 pumps other than the wattage is the impeller type?

Secondly if this is possible, and i am using these pumps for my closed loop, would this not increase the pressure on the pump being a lower wattage and a larger water pumping volume and impeller?

Any advice would be appreciated

Shot... Fischer

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

interesting....... I do know of another manufacturer that has one "motor" with different impellor for different flow ratings.... but I think its a big pump with a smaller impellor setup, IE high wattage motor that runs a smaller impellor, therefore wasting power. But to have a higher wattage motor for the "higher" flow, and then say you can change the impellor on the lower wattage motor to increase flow to that of the higher wattage pump does sound a bit funny.

Hope that made sense?

4. Marlin Fischer

Marlin Fischer Thread Starter Mutantfish

Yes ...does make sense. wattage vs impeller and L/h

The thing is the supplier, that i would rather not mention here, said that Scott from reef octopus did the modifications to the pumps and he said that the new impellers would increase the L/h.

Of what i've heard Scott is a reliable guy. Just not sure if this info has been relayed correctly btw him and the supplier?

Anyone else have any input regarding the above?

Thanks......

5. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

tagging
    BTW, post a thread on your proposed closed loop setup, im also looking into this.

Recent Posts