RO water and TDS reading

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by lourensmocke, 25 Apr 2016.

1. lourensmocke

lourensmocke

Hi everyone, hope this is the right forum.

I've got a strange situation going on with my mixing station. One drum collects the RO water with a tds reading of 0 inside the tank. This tank is connected with an external pond pump (and pvc plumbing with PVC WELD used on fittings) to a second drum where the salt mixing happens.

When I take the RO water from the first drum using a tap on the side of the drum (not via the pump), the tds is still 0 outside of the drum.

When I extraxt the RO using the pump and plumbing, the tds reads 170! What could be the cause of this and how would I go about rectifying this.

Is this maybe something wrong with the pvs weld that I've used or could it be something inside the system/pump increasing the tds reading?

This is a secondhand mixing station that I bought and had already used this system to mix and replace about 15% of saltwater in my tank. Everything still seems fine in the tank.

Thanks for the assistance.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

its just residue from previous salt mix left behind in the mixing tank. Will have a reading when you just filled it up with RO. Before adding the salt.

Just never test the TDS of the mixed salt water. Some TDS pens get damaged by doing that.

4. lourensmocke

lourensmocke Thread Starter

Thanks for the great advice as always @RiaanP. Appreciate it a lot!

Recent Posts