RO Unit

Reaction score
Hi guys

Purchased a RO unit from Dorry Pets today, but I think the water pressure in my house is too low. I'm only getting a steady drip from the unit. What should the flow be?

Also, after leaving it to run for a couple hours, the TDS reading is 12, but I think that may be related to the low water pressure?

If that's the case, where can I get the add on pump to increase the pressure?

Wouldn't the shop you bought from be able to get one? failing that try on line, or post in our sponsor section

don't think the TDS has soemthing to do with the flow.
If you use a dirty drum the tds will go up.
TDS can even measure dust in water, so make sure everything is nice and clean before adding the water.

Wow, didn't realise it can be that sensitive. That is probably the issue then. Thanks for the heads up.

Wow, didn't realise it can be that sensitive. That is probably the issue then. Thanks for the heads up.

cool man, o ja and it can pick up salt too, so don't use the drum for salt and ro.
You will get wrong readings.
Test it out dude:yeahdude:

Yep, hadn't thought of that, the TDS meter works by running a current through the water, this works because electricity cannot pass through pure water, instead it basicall flows between the impurities in the water, so if there are no impurities (and we are talking on a moleclular level) it reads zero.

so give the drum of r/o a good slosh round with the r/o you collected and measure the next batch.

Hi Sparky

I agree with Lanzon TDS is only a measure for RO. What RO unit did you get?You need pressure for the unit to work effectively, if the pressure in you main water supply is low you would need to fit a booster pump which should be available from Dorry. I also purchased one from Dorry[D-D RO50] but have not installed yet, I will be installing mine as close as possible to the main municipality line where the pressure should be okay I hope other wise I will have the same problem as you.

I stay in a complex, in an upstairs unit, so I think that is the issue. I will play around tomorrow and see if I can move it somewhere else.

I got the same unit as you. DDR050

Hi Sparky

Do you have a waste flow restrictor on the unit?

Did you flush the prefilters before you connected the membrane?

Ok, your high TDS reading may also be due to the pre-filters not being flushed, not too serious, just remember next time you replace the 2 pre-filters, you must disconnect the membrane and run the unit for about 15 minutes so that it can flush out all of the carbon dust etc. Recommended to replace the pre-filters every 3 to 6 months depending on the amount of usage.

Do you have a bypass valve that bypasses the waste flow restrictor? This should be a valve that you can open and close, not all units have these.

Damn, Ok, sounds like you may need a booster pump, apart from that, congrats on your new purchase, your tank is now very happy :)

Yeah, I got no prob getting a booster. Setting this all up for the new tank. Can't wait, but don't want to rush anything. Would like to have everything spot on so the tank is as low maintenance as possible.

Best way to do it, best of luck to you. Don't forget pics as you go along, even pics of empty tanks get us going :)

Nope, I didn't flush anyhing.

RO membranes are treated with a fungicide to protect them against mould whilst in storage. ALL new membranes should be flushed for at least 1 hour before allowing any of the water into a tank. Not flushing the pre-filters can result in microscopic carbon particles lodging in the membrane, and this can damage the membrane and cause more impurities to pass through, thus resulting in an increase in TDS.

There are different capacity membranes on the market, and they can all fit into the same housing - do you know if you have a 24 gpd, 50 gpd or 100 gpd membrane - jyst changing the membrane can double or halve the volume of filtered water, IF the pressure is high enough.

Hennie

Going to connect my RO unit for the first time.Thanks for the advice about flushing the membranes.:) I read the manual and no where do they mention anything about flushing them.:( Sorry for the guys who dont have access to the wealth of knowledge you reefers have here on MASA!:p

Back
Top Bottom