RO Unit

Reaction score
Hi Guys

Is it really feasible for me to get an RO unit, considering I only have a 65L tank, and should I decide to upgrade it probably wouldn't go over 200L as I don't have the space for it?

At the moment I'm using tap water treated with Aquasafe. Yes yes, I know... it's terrible, but that is what the budget allowed for right now.

If an RO unit is a good buy, which ones should I be looking at?

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Sparky firstly tap water is far from ideal, i understand that a ro unit is expensive for a 65L system. But really why not buy ro water from a local LFS or get ro from a hobbyist close to you? Hell if you were closer you could come collect from me, i am sure there is somebody close to you that will supply.

Reaction score
Sparky firstly tap water is far from ideal, i understand that a ro unit is expensive for a 65L system. But really why not buy ro water from a local LFS or get ro from a hobbyist close to you? Hell if you were closer you could come collect from me, i am sure there is somebody close to you that will supply.
...lol... to be totally honest I didn't even know about RO water till I joined this forum, so now that's why I'm trying to fix it :p

I don't mind the cost now, I've just recently changed jobs so it was the transition inbetween that was seriously salty cracks... lol... but as said I'm actually looking for a bigger tank already (trying to decide on building it myself or just getting a ready done one) so it probably makes sense to get it now.

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Sparky,

Don't be too bothered with hyped up brands. In the end they are mostly the same. As long as the R.O. Membranes are good quality like filmtec. I got my R.O./DI unit from Liaquat/AQuality. He has the best prices that I could find in S.A and I have a TDS of 0 :yeahdude:

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
BTW Sparky,

I am in Roodepoort near Randburg. You are more than welcome to come pick some RO every week until you sorted with a unit.​

Reaction score
Most of the LFS in the Randburg area have OK RO, TDS of 5. If you want 0 you probably have to look at getting your own RO unit.

If you were doing 20% weekly water changes you would only need 13 liters plus top up during the week, I would suggest getting from Galibore or buying 25 litres a week approx. R25.00

Galibore

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah Sparky, you could get 2 x 25L. Then we rotate them. Every second week you could come pick up a drum and drop off the empty one. No problem.

Reaction score
Sparky,

IMO I would rather put the extra cash into getting the best skimmer you can afford and buy the RO from a reputable LFS, I buy mine for R10 per 25ltr drum (using my own drum), and on a small system you won't need to topup that often anyway.

just my 2c

Reaction score
Sparky,

IMO I would rather put the extra cash into getting the best skimmer you can afford and buy the RO from a reputable LFS, I buy mine for R10 per 25ltr drum (using my own drum), and on a small system you won't need to topup that often anyway.

just my 2c
You Durban guys get everything cheap