Ro Unit

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by JDV, 28 Apr 2012.

1. JDV

JDV

[FONT=&quot]Hi all[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]I have a few questions regarding Marine Ro units.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Are all Ro units the same is there a brand that is recommended and one that is not?[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Where do you get the replacement filters? Does any brand of filter work with any unit? [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Is it a good Idea to buy one from my LFS? [/FONT]
    How may litres do they generally make before you have to replace the filters?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Hi JDV
    Well, yes and no, you basically get drinking water RO units and Marine Aquarium RO units, the aquarium ones are designed to produce much purer water than the drinking water ones. Avoid the cheap chinese RO units as these may have cheaper membranes in them that do not filter as well and do not last as long as well known branded membranes, and membranes are expensive so it is a good idea to buy one that will last 2 to 4 years.
    Pretty sure any LFS will stock replacement filters.
    Not sure where else you would get one from? The ones you see in shops like Makro or wherever are more than likely drinking water RO units. Contact some of our CapeTown sponsors for some prices, pretty sure one of them should be able to sort you out.
    I normally change my pre-filters every 6 months, although if you've got a nano you could probably stretch that to yearly, all depends on how much water you make, the best way is to buy a TDS meter or TDS pen, when you see your TDS climbing then replace the DI resin, and if it is still a bit high then replace the two pre-filters, the DI resin generally gets exhausted before the pre-filters. The membrane should only need to be replaced after a few years, you will realise this when you can't get the TDS reading close to 0.

When you do buy one, it is advisable to get one with DI resin, or you can sometimes buy this as an additional add-on, it is the final polishing stage for the water and can normally bring your TDS down to 0, which is what we aim for. :)

Some nice info here - D-D Reverse Osmosis Units - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

4. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Ok cool, thanks for this I was looking at the DD unit.

5. NickW

NickW

Here is a nice video explaining what @viper357 said, nice explanation with regards to the DI resin and a 0 TDS reading.

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  6. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Thanks you for the video very informative. Tell me can we drink this water as well, will be a very good sell point for the wife?

7. Mewik

Mewik

Yep you can drink it, I know of a few people who have had kidney issues or transplants and they only drink RO water as it has no additives so its not as stressful on the kidneys as tap water with all its added bits and bobs.

8. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Now that is excellent news the wife has been moaning to get a filter for the house for some time now.

9. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Ok the wife said yes, I can by me one of these, Thanks to Elite aquatics 20% discount special I got me one of these DD units, tell me is the filter in the bottom white holder the Di filter?
    Does anybody know where I can buy a TDS meter that does not break the bank.

10. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

Ok after doing some reading it seems that the 50 Gallon R.O. Unit - RO 50 does not have the Deionising Pod now does anybody know where in CPT I can get one of these optional extra Pod’s?

Lol- I ask the LFS does it have Di filter and the answer 3 times over was yes, anyway Looks like I will have to buy one of these Di pods somewhere.

Last edited: 28 Apr 2012
  11. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

ish lol- whow that post came out big for some reason...

12. viper357

No, if you bought the standard RO unit with 3 housings then the two bottom ones will have a sediment filter and a carbon filter, the horizontal housing on the top will be the membrane. The DI resin will be an additional unit on top of the membrane. These are often sold separately.
    :( Probably some weekend jockey working at the shop.

When you install the RO unit, please remember to disconnect the membrane and have the water just flowing through the two bottom pre-filters, let this run for about 10 minutes or so as you need to flush out the carbon dust and whatnot from the filters. Once it has been flushed you can then connect up the membrane and let it run again for about 2 hours before collecting the RO water.

13. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

ok will do, do you know where I can get the Deionising Pod?

14. viper357

No I don't I'm afraid. Perhaps send Nemos Janitor a PM, he is the wholesaler for these units, he should be able to advise who stocks the DI units separately in your area.

15. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

ok will do, thanks for all the help, just one last question, can I use my Ro unit without it for now?

16. viper357

Yip, lots of people run without DI unit's.

17. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

ok cool, thats good news was feeling abit disappointed with my purchase.Thank you for all the help and info

18. mandarinman

mandarinman

No that is the same lfs i have issues with because their tanks are a mess and no matter how much you talk to them they always know better than you but do not rectify issues. they are as concerned about their clients as a butcher is to a chicken. now you have jdv who has asked for something and been sold the wrong thing! Voted the best lfs in the western cape mmf viper357 intervene please as they are sponsors

19. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

the problem is 90% of the people who sell these units dont know what they selling......
    in fact i have a number of other importers have the cheek to call us and ask how to repair x, y and z on there machines.
    to them its money in a box, not about what you need.
    give us a shout and well sort out your issues.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2012
  20. JDV

JDV Thread Starter

@The Waterboy - Marco I am looking for all the below in pic, will you be able to pm me a price with shipping to CPT?

[​IMG]

21. DeanT

DeanT Dean

@JDV
    I purchased a unit from macro , and it is a beast
    Build quality is amazing and I can assure you , money well spent
    Ask him for anything and I am sure he will make a plan
    Mine got shipped right to my door step , what a pleasure

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts