RO unit???????

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Philip.Cloete, 24 Jul 2011.

1. Philip.Cloete

Philip.Cloete

Hey all I have got all things together in my Tank its only waiting for water now.

I wanted to know what type of RO unit to install and if the ones you buy at the local water shop will do they have quite a variety of them so which one should I choose....

What does the RO unit need to take out of the water to have it fish and reef friendly????

as this is quite an expensive piece of equipment I dont want to buy the wrong thing

and is there a cheaper way of getting this done as the unit I was looking at goes for about 1500 rand

thanks for any advice

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. lIghty

lIghty

Contact Marco from The WaterBoy, he is a sponsor here, he'll sort you out, the drink water ones are not suitable.

4. pXius

pXius

That about the price of the marine versions of Marco's (the water boy) RO units.

You can't use the domestic version you see at normal H2o shops. You see, after these units clean the water they put some "stuff" back into the water to make it taste better and eliminate odor.

The "stuff" can cause algae blooms etc. in a marine tank.

So you'll want to go for a marine RO unit which is specifically designed for marine use, which Marco sells.

There's an upside because apparently the "waste water" produced by this RO unit is still very drinkable, with water quality equal to that you buy in bottled form, like Valpre'.

5. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

Buy one from one of our sponsors-you will get the right equipment and I think you are going to score on the price also. Please support our sponsors, the more business we give them the more equipment they can keep for us. :bigthumbup:

6. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

Marco can put a unit together that gives you RO drinking water, as well as RO for the Marines. I have one like that, it has the normal pre-filters, but then the filmtech Membrane. After that the line splits in two, one goes through the taste filter (that "puts stuff back") to my reservoir and drinking water tap; the second goes through a resin filter for the marines. The combo system does however cost almost double the price you are looking at.

So, talk to Marco his service is good, and he will help you out with a unit that suites your needs!

7. Philip.Cloete

Philip.Cloete Thread Starter

Ok where do I get hold of marco

8. DudleyD

DudleyD

Last edited: 24 Jul 2011
  9. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Just recently bought an R.O unit for the kitchen and was planning on using the water for the new tank but I thought the re-mineralization ball would be a problem. Could you just bypass it? And what is the difference between a Marine R.O unit and a normal 4/5 stage drinking water one?

10. Pete

Pete

A marine RO unit runs throught a DI resin chaimber as the last filter chaimber this removes all the other stuff the pre-filters and he Membrane did not remove. giving you a TDS reading (Total disolved solids) of Zero

11. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

can you not just plumb in the extra canisters or swap out the filters?

12. Louis Scheepers

Louis Scheepers

Yes you can!

Not all Marine RO units have resin filters, that is an extra luxury to get the TDS to zero.

The three chambers are pre-filters, pretty standard, the membrane makes a difference (you can order a filmtec from Marco if you like). The marine units just have one less prefilter.

You can bypass the mineral ball with a t-piece and a separate tap on each line.

Mine (Waterboy unit) has the 3 pre-filters, then Filmtech membrane, then a T. One to the taste filter one to the resin filter, each with a separate tap. You can do the same!

deadmeat2016 likes this.
  13. lIghty

lIghty

Though the DI is not critical. I've run Marco's filters now for about 3 years, without a the DI Resins and my TDS is 1-2PPM, totally acceptable!

14. Philip.Cloete

Philip.Cloete Thread Starter

Thanks for the help ppl almost made a costly mistake will contact Marco today....

15. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

Thanks alot for the input guys, I think everything will be ok :)

16. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

email sent:thumbup:

Recent Posts