RO unit waste water used for freshwater aquarium?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by WadeSmith, 7 Oct 2016.

1. WadeSmith

WadeSmith

Good Morning All

Im curious for an answer to this question.

As the heading states i would like to know if i can use the waste water produced from an RO unit to do water changes for my freshwater aquarium? At the moment i use tap water which i treat with a water conditioner and prepare it for my freshwater aquarium water changes. So will i be able to use the RO units waste water and then treat it with a water conditioner and use that for my freshwater aquarium water changes?

Thanks

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

I don't see why now. From my understanding, the waste water should not be any more toxic than tap water..

Sent from the Edge

4. Dexter

Dexter

why not use the ro water for freshwater then you don't need to treat the water?

5. WadeSmith

WadeSmith Thread Starter

@r0ckf1re yeah thats what i thought as well but just wanted another opinion. @Dexter well im a person that really doesnt like wasting things so to see water go down the drain that i could use for something else just bothers me. I dont have a swimming pool to pump that water into and my yard is fully paved so no grass to pump the water to either. So was just thinking that the best would be to use that water for my freshwater aquarium water changes, that way no wastage happens.

r0ckf1re likes this.
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Nope.
    Same issues. What is in the water that could cause algae issues in sea water would cause the same algae issues in fresh water.

Rater use the waste to water your pot plants. Or garden. Or fill up the swimming pool.

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

My neighbor got a freshwater tank with knifefish in it. This system went pearshaped twice and he had to shut it down and clean out everything.On last restart I gave him enough RO to fill up the system, and he still get RO from my tanks for top up for the last 2 years (if not more). No issues since restart. And he maintains the system the same.

The other neighbor got a overstock Malawi tank. also started with my RO and topped up with RO. No issues.

8. Richard01

Richard01

For as long as I have been running a marine tank(3 years) I have been using the waste water from my rodi unit for my Discuss planted tank with no problem.

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

9. WadeSmith

WadeSmith Thread Starter

@RiaanP Im not exactly worried about algae as the fish i have in my freshwater aquarium keep my tank spotless from algae, was just wondering if it was safe to use the waste water from the RO unit in my freshwater aquarium. Basically what im planning on doing when i buy my RO unit and setup my marine tank, i will be using the RO water for my marine tank and the waste water from the RO unit in my freshwater tank. @Richard01 Cool thanks, nice to know that it works without issues.

10. linksar

linksar

Also using my RO waste water for my freshwater plant setup the same way you suggested in your first post. With Conditioners and supplements ....

Not experienced any algae issues myself and my plants grow like mad. Or my little Otto just that effective.:thumbup1:

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

OK, both my neighbors do not have a planted tank. Substrate, decor and fish.

12. red pepper

red pepper

I know a very good LFS that uses the RO waste water for the freshwater side with no issues as well

13. Ally05

Ally05

I don't fully understand the RO waste water thing yet as I'm still setting mine up but the RO as a filter is holding back all the nasties, so my only concern would be if you forget to maintain the unit and there is a sudden break though of all those partial that would enter your system. But then again it would also land up in the marine tank too I guess. Mine will land up in the water tank for the garden. divert it to the flush of the toilet.

14. oliver

oliver

I use the waste water on my high tech planted tank plants grow like crazy but no algae or any other issues.

Recent Posts