RO unit and top up help please.

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by christiaan, 29 Apr 2010.

1. christiaan

christiaan

Hi Guys

I'm in the process of setting up a new tank and I have a top up unit and a ro machine, what i need to know from you gurus is how to plumb the whole thing so that the RO cuts of once the RO resivoir is full enough and how it should turn buck on when its getting low - I was thinking toilet float? Will this work or is there a better way? I remember seeing a thread on this before but can't seem to find it. . .

Thanks
    :peroni:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Hi Christiaan! PM The Waterboy, he has some sort of a cut out switch for the RO units.

4. christiaan

christiaan Thread Starter

Will do - been reading up on it and it seems that many tank wipeouts have been caused this way?

5. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there christiaan please explain how this happened ... the wipeouts?

6. Manic

Manic Moderator

If you connect your RO unit to your auto top up reservoir then if the auto top up fails in the on position you will continuously fill the tank with RO water.

7. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry guys should have been more specific ... with respect to the toilet float as mine's running well so far and with due respect to our toilets in our home we moved in in '78 and till now NEVER replaced toilet cistern floats ..... I got a converter made up and plumbed my R/O unit directly to my 2 sumps return chambers and never had trouble with water short....

8. christiaan

I guess they just need to be nstalled properly - I've had a wipeout due to power and let me tell you - once you've had a wipe - you do anything to avoid having another to the point where the paranoia becomes . . . well hectic! Lost over R15k worth of livestock before and I'm making this system as wipeout safe as possible. . .

9. chikaboo

chikaboo

Thats why I'm thinking toilet float system is more safer than an electronic float switch!

10. christiaan

You're right I guess - will look into it - thanks

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

A ball-type float valve will work very well - just make sure that the arm connecting the valve with the ball is plastic, and not copper, brass or aluminium. Also, make sure that there are no copper or brass fittings inside the valve.

Hennie

PS. you don't need a "reservoir" tank - you can connect the RO outlet directly to the ball valve. It is still operating at house pressure, and will actually make the valve work better/safer. It will also protect your tank from having the tank water suddenly diluted should the valve fail. dilution will stil occur, but it will take a few hours to do any serious trouble, and if you're lucky (or install a high-water alarm) you will catch it in time...

12. chikaboo

chikaboo

MMMMMM interesting I didn't bother checking inside the valve ... must do so tomorrow ... luckily I'm not big into corals as yet but must check it out tomorrow ... Thanks for advice and speaking about high water alarms ... Anyone uses a high/low temperature alarm and what other "alarms" can one look for in this hobby...

Recent Posts