RO unit and kitchens

RiaanP

Reaction score
I wonder. Why do reefers not incorporate the RO unit with the kitchen and their daily water use for cooking and drinking?
Is there a reason why I see at most of the setups that the RO unit is somewhere around the tank. They can produce around 180L per day and surely that is way out more than enough for top ups and for us Gautengers SW changes.

Because it will be expensive in filters, you can buy kitchen use under sink filters for daily use, but they are not R/O filters, R/O is actually bad for humans to drink, due to the fact that it has nothing in it.

it can cause hydro-litic shock, if consumed to much as it disolves all the electrolytes in the blood and "salts"

an example is when comarades runners finish and drink to much water after, the dehydration from running and to much water too soon, dilutes the electrolyes and salts to quickly.

This water your guys are talking about, is not the RO (Reverse Osmosis) part, BUT, the DI (de-ionized) part.... DI water is bad for human consumption. RO filtered water is VERY Good for human consumption....

OK, then my question still stands, why not use the ro filter for household and marine use? It does cost a lot, so why duplicate what you have for your own consumption?

Riaan - I have one of those water supply fridges. I have plumbed my RO machine in such a way, that the outlet (waste) from the RO side, goes to my fridge, and the other outlet (from my DI resin filter) goes to my reef tank....
So, yes - there is no reason why that water SHOULD go to waste.....

Kunhardt - hhhmm - interesting.... I have been drinking RO water for the past 2 years (ever since I got my RO filtration unit....)...
No bad health yet? I have not read through your link yet though...

They removed that page.

Kunhardt - do you perhaps have a URL to the actual discussion?
BTW: I see these people promoting Ionization machines - the reverse of de-ionization (which is what the DI parts of our filtration systems do)..... Interesting...

eish, so its best to drink the waste water since most of the minerals are still in there(with use of a tds meter, my waste water reads 142 or so)..

So is the waste water still safe to drink?

eish, so its best to drink the waste water since most of the minerals are still in there(with use of a tds meter, my waste water reads 142 or so)..

So is the waste water still safe to drink?

Our tap water in Pietermaritzburg tests about 40 - 45 TDS. I check it weekly and it tested like this for the past year, looks like we got very clean water :slayer:

What I find strange is that my RO side ( so called waste water) test about 70 and my RO/DI side test 0. Why is the RO side more than the tap water? OK, I know all bad chemicals have been removed at least :p

So it is better to drink

Now, to convince my wife...

Our tap water in Pietermaritzburg tests about 40 - 45 TDS. I check it weekly and it tested like this for the past year, looks like we got very clean water :slayer:

What I find strange is that my RO side ( so called waste water) test about 70 and my RO/DI side test 0. Why is the RO side more than the tap water? OK, I know all bad chemicals have been removed at least :p

THats definately some clean water u have there. Most bottled water i have seen is over 100 TDS. Our tap water in EL is 400 TDS so i am told.

So it is better to drink

Now, to convince my wife...

You have that damn straight, best thing you could drink.:thumbup:

filtered water (and they filter it damn well), malt, hops and barley all available in a health shop, now that should tell you something :D

Back
Top Bottom