RO top affect on ph

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by Mc, 22 Jul 2011.

1. Mc

Mc

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can clear something up for me.

As I understand when RO water has a very low alkalinity I have tested this.
    Because of this when the RO water is store for a while even a few days the pH drops quite alot I tested some water a few days ago and the pH was 6.0.
    If you use this water to top up with what would the effect be?

I have tried to test after a top and the pH seems ok around 8.0.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

If you topup gradually and slowly in small quantities or even better with a auto top up unit, then no problem. As long as you pH stays between 7.8 and 8.4 and does not fluctuate. Here are a few articles about low and high pH, etc, maybe you can find something there.

A Comparison of pH Calibration Buffers by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

High pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Low pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Mc likes this.
  4. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

good info provided there tobes,

my understanding of the RO process is that the water is stripped of all elements and will need to be rebuffered prior to use, i would think that this is most likely why it is suggested that kalk be added to it prior to entering the tank..

but as tobes says small amounts added a little at a time will be fine and not effect the overall ph ..

5. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Thanks

Will read through the links you posted.
    I think that red sea coral pro salt does most of that its just top ups that I've been worried about. Im thinking I might just build an auto top off.

6. lIghty

lIghty

RO basically has no buffer ability, there for the ph you are testing is basically false. If you added only a few drop of vinegar you would notice the ph drop quite a bit, same if you had to add something with a higher ph, this is because there is no/little buffeting ability.

You can add it to your tank and you would notice no/little chance to the tank ph, but what will happen it will cause your Alk to drop (which could cause a small ph change) this is since you still only have the same amount buffering but in a larger quantity of water, hence it is always a good reason to add a buffer before you dose, as Les stated.

Mc likes this.
  7. Mc

Mc Thread Starter

Wow thanks

Now thats very interesting, that clears things up alot.

Recent Posts