RO membranes and filter cartriges

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by mupwi, 6 Sep 2011.

1. mupwi

mupwi

Hi all.
    I am trying to figure out if I should get a ro unit. From a convenience standpoint I think definitely yes, but not sure from a cost standpoint. My main concern is cartridge replacement. How often should they be replaced? Is it at a certain no of liters or at a certain time interval like every year? I only use about 20l per week so it wont be working too hard as the smallest units seem to be 50gpd.

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Sep 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Please use punctuation in your posts. Makes it extremely difficult to read otherwise.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Cartirdges need replacing when the TDS of RO water produced starts getting too high. The time interval for replacing cartiridges thus depends on how much water is being produced. If you only using 20l per week, you wont need to replace cartridges often.

5. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

by my calculations using 20l per week at the current rate I am paying for RO the membrane and other filter will need to last about 18 months for me to break even. Is this a likely scenario?

6. ScottK

ScottK

7. Suhayl

Suhayl

How sure the water you buy has a 0 tds readings. You have to take into account travelling up and down to get ro cost money too. If you serious on reekeeping invest in an ro unit.

8. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

thanks sliver after reading that it looks like I could easily go 2 years before changing membranes so it looks like im buying an ro unit.
    suhayl I am prety confident in the 2 places I get ro from I know of at least one lfs in Durban I definitely wont be buying from again the fuel cost isnt realy an issue for me as my company pays my fuel bill but the convenience of having it at home will be a big + also not having the problem of needing ro and all the shops are closed coz it is a Sunday or public holiday

9. TheWaterboy

TheWaterboy Sponsor

give me a shout, ill hook you up............;)

in durban the pre filters will cost you around R150 for the set and we reccommend you change them every 6 months as durban water t.d.s is around 160

a filmtech membrane used in our units in durban will last you 2 to 3 years for sure!

Last edited: 6 Sep 2011
  10. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

Shot marco you were definately going to be my first stop anyway unfortunately I'm heading back to boswana on monday and won't have time to before then but ill pop ov
    er when I'm back in about 3 weeks

11. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Tellme Marco how much would a whole RO unit cost me?

12. mupwi

mupwi Thread Starter

If you go to the waterboy site(link is in the sponsors section) all the prices are there

Recent Posts