RO Jojo Tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by WarrenElvis, 19 Feb 2013.

1. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Hey all, needing some advice on a scenario i am facing. I am starting to get a bit lazy LOL. My water changes are breaking my back carrying up 50 litre drums up double story staircase. So what i plan to do is use my 260 litre JOJO tank and put it up on the side of the house where i have a nice ledge i can put it on, from there pump water through to where the tank is and have a tap on the second floor near the tank where i can fill up a bucket and mix the salt there. Would make it much easier for me and sometimes when it rains don't have to worry about falling on my gat trying to carry up outside staircase. The distance the water would have to travel would be from bottom of jojo up the wall 2 meters, then running pipework flat for about 10 meters then down the wall 1,5 meters to an outlet. Will come from the 50mm outlet on jojo and run the piping in 3/4 inch pvc
    So my questions are :

1) What pump will suffice for that distance and height, note i do not need extremely high pressure as i am just filling up a 50 litre drum. would like to hook up a pressure sensitive unit so that when i open the valve the pump will turn on and switch off when valve closed

2) There is alot of sun seen by that side where i will put the tank. I know they have a black lining inside, but should i buy one of those plastic storage units to house the tank in. Am a bit padantic when it comes to my ro water. No dust or anything must get to it

3) Is it necessary to circulate the RO water in the tank. Currently not doing it as stored in a cool area and i go through the 260L in about 3 weeks ,also the lid on my jojo has been sealed by using a rubber seal so no dust could get in So now with moving it to an outside area am i going to have a problem

Thanks in advance for the advice and am sure my back is going to appreciate it:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Wes

Wes

smallest electric sub-pump would be able to pump to 6m high, cut-off at 7m head height, outlet sizes: 25/32/40mm, price there is R 1044.00

Nothing special, just a sub-pump 220V

also can do a DC6120 12 Volt DC pump @ R 650.00 20mm outlet 5.8m Head Height

Industrial spec sub pumps.

Not normally used in Marine Tank Equipment, but in theory you should be pumping fresh water.

Prices Excl VAT

:)

4. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

@Wes, can you please PM me where i can get a pump like that please... (the DC one)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis Thread Starter

Thanks Wes, also details on pm for me for the pumps:thumbup:

6. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Jojo tanks are great
    I have 2 for water top ups and water changes
    Water change 250l takes about 15min

7. WarrenElvis

Bump , any more advice on my three questions please guys. Thanks

8. Gazzer

Gazzer

hey in my opinion what i would do for a "tap" i would run the piping with a non return as you come out of the jojo tank so when the pump starts you dont have to wait 5 mins for the water and instead of getting all complicated it myt be easier to just run a power cabel up to the tank to act as a switch or "tap" will upload a pic for you shortly for my opinion

9. Gazzer

Gazzer

here is the pic i drew up quick

JOJO.jpg

10. WarrenElvis

Thanks Gazzer appreciate the advice good idea with non return. any help with other questions;)

11. Gazzer

Gazzer

Well I have done some home work on Jojo tanks and there are a few on the market and u get some cheaper ones and if you shop around you can get them cheaper then builders. maybe someone can assist with this but i know west pack sells a different brand and is also sun resistant and comes in many different sizes

12. DeanT

DeanT Dean

Joko Tanks arent that expensive and think they are a Great investment
    The standard 250l drums are great for water storage and adding volume to an existing tank
    I have 2 x 500 liter tanks for top up and salt water and a 250l live rock storage drum
    On my setup

Recent Posts