RO Filter Need or Luxury???

Reaction score
I was just wondering if someone could clarify this for me.

Is a RO Filter a Need or a Luxury? or is is something that is needed only if you dont want to hassle with chemical imbalance?

At the price of most RO filters being +-R2000 is it worth it?

Also would normal tap water and saltwater over time "cure" itself?

I'm new to the whole marine aquarium practise and would just like advise and people to share their views on this.

the Unit itself in not needed, but RO water is DEFINITELY needed...
whether you make your own or get from a LFS, but in the long run they pay themselves off rather quickly, post in the sponsors forums they have specials all the time on units

If the RO water from your LFS has 0 TDS then go for it as some guys tend to use filters and membranes way past their sell by to save costs. They charge about 2 bucks a litre so you figure out what will work out cheaper for you. A decent unit will go for about R1500-00 to R1800-00

and the "waste" water make great drinking mineral water

nope not at all, the "waste" water is the excess water that doesnt go thru the last stage, being the RO filter, but its been filtered mechanically and with carbon, so very safe to drink

I would say that if dont live on the coast a RO unit is more a need than a luxury. If you guys are paying R2 a litre up there for RO and u need to do water changes etc with salt mix its going to work out cheaper in the long run to buy the unit and do it yourself. Here in EL we pay R1 a litre and i still have the urge to buy a unit.

PS. Dont drink the RO water on a continued basis its not good for u long term.

RO water is to sterile, but the "waste" water is perfect to drink

Says the guys with doughnuts for an avatar;)

I did that. Just filled the tank up with tap water, added the salt, dechlorinator and turned it on with the heaters. Start running your phosphate sponge immediately and don't add any rocks or substrate for a few days.

i really do think a good supply of RO water is more a requirment than a luxuary. i know of a number of reefers which have smaller tanks and then buy RO water, but often the husbandry routines of water changes and top ups become harder to achieve as you have to plan it around being able to get to a LFS and buy RO water.

i would suggest that you look at getting a RO unit, it has a number of advantages and in the long run is far better for the tank and makes YOUR life much easier.

So when starting a tank RO water is not needed?
Will tap water and salt do?
NO NO NO! tap water is just simply eavil with regards to marine tanks and you will create difficulties for yourself in the long run. Use RO for all your salt mixes and RO for top up. The impurities in tap water will fuel algae growth which with the die off from a newly cycling tank will lead to nasty algae blooms.

I did that. Just filled the tank up with tap water, added the salt, dechlorinator and turned it on with the heaters. Start running your phosphate sponge immediately and don't add any rocks or substrate for a few days.
you might get away with that, but its not good practice in my view, far better to use RO from the start

I would say that if dont live on the coast a RO unit is more a need than a luxury. If you guys are paying R2 a litre up there for RO and u need to do water changes etc with salt mix its going to work out cheaper in the long run to buy the unit and do it yourself. Here in EL we pay R1 a litre and i still have the urge to buy a unit.

PS. Dont drink the RO water on a continued basis its not good for u long term.

In JHB I pay 80c/l

RO water is essential and not a luxury.

I did alot of reading and just wanted to make sure that i was reading the correct thing!

Thanks again crispin! So it will be money well spent in the end! I'll rather make sure my water is 100% than buying from a shop where people neglect it.

Back
Top Bottom