RO filter is driving me insane!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Tremayn, 21 Jan 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tremayn

Tremayn

Hey people,I have a marine RO filter. It was fitted with a tank so that it could be used for drinking water as well. Lately it makes soooo much of noise! Its always humming, moaning n stuff. Really a pain in the butt! Does this normally happen or is something wrong? It is under the kitchen sink and it is on its side as thats the only way it could fit. This is it in the box[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. JD167

JD167

Look for the valve that adjusts the output flow. Sometimes if it's at a certain angle it makes a lot of noise, almost making the unit vibrate.

4. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Thanks hey.. Will it be on the filter or on a pipe?

5. JD167

JD167

On the "dirty" water pipe. The water that goes down the drain or garden or wherever.

6. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

First time I ever heard of humming/moaing from an RO unit. Sure it's not the neighbours wife?
    When starting an RO unit you should let the water run freely through the first part only for a bit, then attach the next part and let it run through that for a bit and repeat til every stage is running. This should help get the air out and also won't clog stuff.

7. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

haha.. I have the ro unit for almost a year.. I will give the adjusting the waste water thing a try because the guy when he installed the system adjusted it to slow it

8. Manic

Manic Moderator

The water waste valve needs to be open for 30 seconds every time you haven't used the system for a week, just to flush the system. You then close it completely to make RO water.

9. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

Dude really? :eek: When the guy set the system up he said 40% of the water is waste water. I use the system daily, so I must close the valve? Then once a week turn it on and open the tap?

10. Manic

Manic Moderator

When you close the valve it still let's water through. It is called a flow restrictor valve. It should have a number on it which indicates the amount of waste water it let's through per hour in gallons.

11. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

I'm surprised no-one has pointed out that drinking untreated RO is really bad for you...

12. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Dont even mention RO filters to me :cursing:

I bought mine from Makro firstly end of last year only to hire a plumber who came around and charged me R350.00 to tell me all the parts were not in the box :eek:

Only to phone "the waterwell" to find out that before Christmas they ran out of stock and they had to buy stock from a local supplier. Only to find I had the completely wrong filter to what was on the box. They told me its a mistake and that they had packed the wrong product into the box I bought. To make things worse the company is based in Durban.........:banghead:

One month later and eventually the guy came out and installed the filter for me :thumbup:

Eventually when it was up and running it took me over a week to fill my 200l sump which Mandarin and Goby donated to me for free when I was having tank problems :cursing:

I still do not like the taste of the water but yeah mine does not moan and complain fortunately :whistling:

13. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

Surely it is the same as drinking rain water :confused1:

Please can you elaborate or provide a link to "reasons why you should not drink RO water. By the way my filter has a final filter which actually adds certain minerals back into the water. Have you heard of this. Mine is a 6 stage filter ;)

14. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

How??? or is it just not good for you... one could say chocolate...beer...cigarettes...msg's.... are bad for you for you but they are still consumed.

Is it to do with diluting you bodies minerals?

Last edited: 22 Jan 2011
  15. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

whoa! So is drinking RO worse than tap water? Because alot of bottled water is RO.. Im going to tinker with the RO now! Going to turn the waste water valve to the lowest

16. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

RO water is pure (stripped down) hence it doesn’t have any minerals etc. If you don’t have a system that adds back the minerals (mineral ball - normally a 6th stage) then it is bad for you. Google it or log onto TASA and ask the Prof.

17. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

I had a look.. Pretty sure this is the waste water valve. Should it be in the upright position or turned fully to the right?
    [​IMG]

18. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

hardcore yo! So tap water is better to drink?

19. Tremayn

Tremayn Thread Starter

I turned the valve to the up position and no sound :) .. When I turn it to the right it starts making a vibrating sound. Did I do the right thing lol?

20. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

i'll gladly drink the RO waste. Remember the 1 - 5 micron filter and charcole filter has removed most of stuff that might be bad for you....

21. lIghty

lIghty

Henk, then why is it when i test the drinking water from my Oasis shop it only has a TDS of only 2ppm, surely then that too has no minerals in it?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Recent Posts