RO drum siphon

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by RiaanP, 26 Apr 2010.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a slight problem. Well I did work out a possible solution, but just want to find out if there are any other simpler options available.

My 90L RO drum is outside. I want to connect it to the Kalkwasser stirrer unit. With the unit that drives the RO pump also driving the stirrer pump on the Kalkwasser. Got about 6m fuel line hose from RO from to tank

But the RO drum, when full is higher than the sump level. And when at 20% it is lower that the sump. RO drum is on a stand. I do not want to lower it as it does have a tap so that I can drain RO water into smaller drums when needed and I can rinse the scrubber.

Now the problem. When the RO drum is full and the RO unit did kick in, then even after the pump shut off, the water keep on siphoning through the pump into the sump lowering my salinity. Also when the drum is at 20% the water siphon back to the drum from inside the Kalkwasser. The outlet from Kalkwasser is above the water in the return chamber. So at least it cannot continue to suck the sump empty. But it still sucks the kalk back to the RO drum and empties the chamber.

Obvious answer is to install a one way valve. But I got a two way problem.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

I had a similar problem and fixed it by putting in a siphon break

what you could do is put a T piece in the line and run another line vertically up to a point higher than the RO drum, so when the float seitch activates, water flows into the kalk reactor along the path of least resistance the second the pump stops the siphon break will kick in and there will be no siphnoing ....

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Thanks Neil, got that one also yesterday. Sounds if it will work. And it is simple.

No other comments?

5. Ross

Ross

One way valve?
    I use this method, just have to replace them every now and again.

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

Sorry Ross, one way valve witch direction?
    When RO drum full it syphon towards the sump. When 20% or lower it syphon towards the RO Drum.

Putting a one way valve, preventing back flow towards RO drum, then I still have the problem when RO drum is full.

7. Ross

Ross

Opps sorry missed that part.......

Recent Posts