RO/DIing an existing tank

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by cknipe, 5 Jan 2014.

1. cknipe

cknipe

Hi All,

Quick question - would it be advisable to cycle an existing tank's water through a RO/DI unit if tap water was initially used to clear up the phosphates and stuff from the water?

I'm basically thinking an return pump in the sump, pushing the water through the filter, and back into the sump. Run it like that for a few days untill the water is clear? Can it work, or would the unit also be removing other stuff which is important for the tank?

Obviously, after the existing water has been cleared up, the RO/DI unit will be removed and plumped to prepare and store the water in holding tanks like it's normally done.

The tank is basically finished cycling, and the algea is now out of control due to tap water (yes, I know). I am at the point of picking up a great 5-stage filter for a give away price - but I don't want to do water changes if I can avoid it. If there's no other way, then so be it I suppose.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

No you cant. An RO unit removes EVERYTHING from the water so it will remove the salt and all other trace elements. But apart from that you will ruin your membrane due to the extremely high TDS of salt water. Its way over 10000 compared to an average of 100 - 150 for tap water.

Your only choices is to wait it out and use some phosphate remover or do many massive water changes of around 50% - 60% and possibly bigger to rid you tank of the excess waste or the most drastic one is to start from scratch by draining the tank and fill with new water after scrubbing all the rocks.

4. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Cewl - thought so.

Will more than likely do a couple of water changes, topup with RO, and wait it out...

5. BlackSpark

BlackSpark

You could add phosphate and charcoal via a phosphate & charcoal reactor to remove harmful goodies from the tap water generated reef water.

Last edited: 5 Jan 2014
  6. cknipe

cknipe Thread Starter

Yup - already have one running with PhosGuard.

Doubt I will see any significant change untill I stop topping up with tap water. Just waiting for one or two answers from the supplier on questions and then I'll more than likely purchase the RO unit in the next couple of days.

Recent Posts