RO container question

Reaction score
I finished filling up my 100L addis container yesterday for a water change, before I added salt tonight I was shocked to see a TDS over 30. Water coming out of the RO unit is 0. The container has only been used for water changes and bought new from PnP.

Any ideas why? Could leaving it for 1 day with no aeration cause this? (thats an embarrasing question):whistling:

Could I add anything to get the TDS down? Don't want to dump 100L.

Gaboon - was the container standing with a lid on? Or open? Could it possibly be that your TDS meter could be de-calibrated?
If it was standing open - could it be that some dust or ash have gotten into the water?

Thanks for the quick reply, lid was off but its only been 24 hours. Gave it a quick (not thorough) rinse before filling. Meter is calibrated as TDS is 0 coming out of the RO unit. Could a salt residue cause it?

Yes it could, salt will add ions and solids to the water. Also the plastic will trap some salt
Posted via Mobile Device

Maybe it's just sediment from your previous salt mix. Mine is the same. I add RO water of 0 TDS and it rises once in the bucket

depends on what u using the water for

depends on what u using the water for

It's my standard bucket that I use for preparing water for water changes. I'm also sure bits of the bucket chemical make up are released into the water

Thanks for the quick reply, lid was off but its only been 24 hours. Gave it a quick (not thorough) rinse before filling. Meter is calibrated as TDS is 0 coming out of the RO unit. Could a salt residue cause it?

I would say this is the main factor.

Cool thanks for all the replies, will use it and give the container a good clean afterwards.

what i do is fill it with water from the kettle, about a 1L then swirl it, hot water helps the plastic expand and dissolve the salt, and then i fill with water and vinegar and rinse out.

Back
Top Bottom