Ro and nsw

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by G55C, 23 Apr 2009.

1. G55C

G55C

I have two questions about ro and nsw.I'm just thinking about all my options before I start Reefing:) I would not like to make costly mistakes when my system is eventually up and running-whenever that is.

1) How long can one store RO in a sealed container? Will it go bad or will there be any ill effects if its stored for lets say for a month and you use it for top ups and water changes?

2)Would it be safe to collect water from beaches round me like Gordons Bay or Rooi Els or Bettys Bay? Has anyone collected from there before?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Concerning RO, it can be stored in a sealed container for quite a while, easily a month, although I can't seem to keep it for longer than a week ;)

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi G55C - yes... you can collect water from the beaches - BUT, I would rather suggest collecting and using water from beaches where there's VERY little human traffic - ie. RooiEls..... Much rather than Gordon's Bay....

5. G55C

G55C Thread Starter

Ok makes sense.We all know how many people pee in the water over there:biggrin: wouldn't want that in my system either:lol:

How much water does one lose due to evaporation etc? it must vary according to heat etc... How many ltrs of RO do guys top up their systems with every week?

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

G55C - an example of fresh water loss - in my 2 metre reef tank (which is open at the top), I HAVE to replace about 7to 10 litres of fresh RO water per day - depending on how warm it is that day!

7. G55C

G55C Thread Starter

WOW ok that alot. Im looking at a 1.2 which will also be open at the top. Lighting will come from 2 metal halides and 2 t5's. Is there anyway to slow the process down at all? Sorry for all the questions. Im just trying to get as much info before i plunge into the deep end here.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes and in my small 150L system I top-up 30L per week. Running a scrubber and that evaporates a lot of water. So that is 20% topup per week. Drastic...:(

Recent Posts